FSInn and SB

TexFly

FSInn and SB

Post by TexFly »

Hello,

I fly FSX and use FSInn with VATSIM. FSInn is much more reliable that SB and that's the reason I switched.

I like the PilotEdge idea and ready to beta test. Can I install SB4 AND FSInn on the same machine without compromising the system?

I thought to double check with you guys before proceeding...

Thanks!
Alex (N705AT)
Check out my sim: http://www.createandsolve.com
Keith Smith

Re: FSInn and SB

Post by Keith Smith »

I'll need to add a note to the installation pages, but yes, several people are running with FSINN and the PE version of SB4 on the same machine. I'm told that you'll need to disable "AI Bridge" if you have that installed.

Dan or Mike S, if you guys have more notes on this, feel free to chime in.
Mike Sweeney

Post by Mike Sweeney »

FSX using FSInn for VS, and SB4 (PE) for PE.

After installing SB4 and the PE addon, when launching FSX you will see:
Microsoft Simulator - Security Warning
The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?
-sbtrans10.dll
-svaicontrol10.dll
If intending to use FSInn on VATSIM, select Don't Run for each prompt.

If intending to use SB4 on PE, select Run, then ....
you will see a second prompt:
Would you like to designate this module as 'Trusted' software? Select Yes to automatically load this software whenever you start Flight Simulator. Select No to load this software for this session only.
Select NO.

There is a Forum where there has been an indication that SB4 and FSInn may be installed on the same computer and run independently, so this may not be necessary, but it works.
There are details probably avalable on the SB and FSInn HELP Forums:
FSInn HELP: http://forums.vatsim.net/viewforum.php?f=39
Squawkbox Help: http://forums.vatsim.net/viewforum.php?f=39
CMEL-IA/IGI
Dan Everette

Post by Dan Everette »

Yes, SB4 and FSInn can co-exist together. I'm currently running the same setup. I've also successfully tested the same setup in a networked environment.

Cheers,

Post by Mike Sweeney »

Hi Dan,
Have you answered "Yes" to this question?
"Would you like to designate this module as 'Trusted' software? Select Yes to automatically load this software whenever you start Flight Simulator. Select No to load this software for this session only."

As a caution, I have been saying "No" each time, but entirely unsure whether it's necessary to indicate "No."
Maybe the SB modules can run automatically everytime (by clicking YES) and it will not interfere whenever using FSInn?
... or are you clicking "No" everytime as described above, & do you suspect we have reason to say "No"?
Thanks.
CMEL-IA/IGI
Dan Everette

Post by Dan Everette »

Mike,

Interesting question, as I don't recall being prompted for those modules. It may be that I had installed SB4 in the past as part of a troubleshooting effort. I'll take a look at my FSX.cfg file when I get home tonight. If those modules are listed as trusted in my .cfg file, I'll remove the entires, do an uninstall/reinstall of SB4, and see what happens.

Post by Dan Everette »

OK, got some testing done (sorry for the delay... long day at work). Anyway, I realized why I never got the above mentioned security warnings. I deleted all the Squawkbox related entries in the dll.xml file. With no dll's to load, no need to warn me about:

sbtrans10.dll
sbaicontrol10.dll
sbmod10.dll

This was the way I'd been running the PE SB4 client alongside FSInn, with success. Anyway, uninstalled SB4, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted. Something along the way nuked the format of my xml.dll file, so wasn't even able to show an Add-On's menu within FSX. Using F1's DLL inspection/repair tool, I created a bare bones dll.xml file, and reinstalled SB4. This time the appropriate entries showed up in the dll.xml file, and when I loaded FSX, it did present me the security warning.

Unfortunately I don't have the time (and won't for the next couple days) to look through what happened to my dll.xml file. So, in short, my test really didn't prove anything, other than there will be no problems if you DO NOT load the

sbtrans10.dll
svaicontrol10.dll

files, as I wasn't originally loading them via my having removed them from the dll.xml file.

Once I get everything back up and fixed, I'll try saying "yes" to allowing them to load as trusted software, and see what happens when connecting to PE, with FSWinn running, along with those modules. Won't be for a couple days though.

Sorry I couldn't have been more productive. Just not in any shape right now to stare at xml and troubleshoot.

Cheers,
-Dan

Post by Mike Sweeney »

Thanks for the help. Based on that, guessing that if the two modules are trusted once, it won't adversely affect runnning FSInn, and definitely will be okay for SB4, since these are SB4 modules.

EDIT - confirmed, the sb modules can be trusted and the option selected so they load everytime, without adverse consequences using FSX with SB (on PE network) or FSINN (on VATSIM network).
CMEL-IA/IGI