[FSX]: SimConnect across machines

MMoore0324

Re: [FSX]: SimConnect across machines

Post by MMoore0324 »

Keith Smith wrote:ZOA will be covered (in fact, we cover it during the Sunday night betas). Beyond that, check out the 'Where' page on the site for more info.

Just out of interest, when you have a chance, please try connecting with an invalid password, ie, set it to 'test'.

Additionally, try a test where your aircraft is parked in PANC (Anchorage, Alaska) and then connect to the network. Let me know if it's able to connect and remains stable, or if it crashes there, too.

I'm trying to pinpoint what is causing it to fail for you.
Ok I tried to set up at PANC and also use an "invalid" password but same result. Actually if I use "test" as my password I just get a general "SB error has occurred" and it doesn't even try to connect. After trying to connect the proper way once more though, I did notice something interesting. See screen shots below:

Ok, here is the error message I am getting

Now if I move the windows around, it does show at the bottom of the SB interface that I am connected to the network. But I can't get that error screen to go away and although it says I'm connected, I can not hear any communication on the freq.

Now if I go the website and check the pilots online tab, I DO see my name on the chart. But again, even though I'm "connected" I really can't use the program.

I'm not sure if this helps you out at all.

Thanks!
MM
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Very good, thank you for the images.

Do you have a headset connected to your computer (on the machine that' running SB PE) and is it set up as the default recording device?
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

Not sure if this is any help at all, but I had this gentleman fly in my sky a few days ago, exhibiting similar online/offline 'symptoms'. I saw him online on the pilots page, but until he reconnected, I couldn't see him on the scope or pull up his flight plan. It could have just been some completely different one-time thing, but then again, it might have been the exact same thing. He didn't report anything to me, so I'm not sure.
MMoore0324

Post by MMoore0324 »

OK I finally got it to work! I did a complete reinstall of SB4 and PE (along with actually plugging my headset in this time) and it all worked well! The only problem is that with SB, I can't set up a PTT via a button on my yoke over the network like I can with FSinn so I guess I'll end up using SB and PE on my FSX machine after all. I did a short test at VNY last night with it all running on the FSX pc and everything worked great. I didn't have any issues running in full screen mode with my PTT either. Thanks for the help though guys!

Blue skies,
Matt
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Matt,

That's good news! I suspect you would be able to get remote PTT working by using the registered version of FSUPIC on your master machine and mapping a button on the yoke to one of the specific actions in the list (Squawkbox_PE listens for the triggering of that function). If you'd like more info on that, let me know.

Honestly, though, you're probably better off running SB_PE on the same machine as FSX. It doesn't take much cpu but it's certainly very 'chatty' over SimConnect as it updates aircraft positions ONCE PER FRAME. You're much better off it they're on the same box, I would think. Since most machines are multi core anyway, the advantages of running things on separate machines is somewhat diminished in any case.
MMoore0324

Post by MMoore0324 »

Keith Smith wrote:Matt,

That's good news! I suspect you would be able to get remote PTT working by using the registered version of FSUPIC on your master machine and mapping a button on the yoke to one of the specific actions in the list (Squawkbox_PE listens for the triggering of that function). If you'd like more info on that, let me know.

Honestly, though, you're probably better off running SB_PE on the same machine as FSX. It doesn't take much cpu but it's certainly very 'chatty' over SimConnect as it updates aircraft positions ONCE PER FRAME. You're much better off it they're on the same box, I would think. Since most machines are multi core anyway, the advantages of running things on separate machines is somewhat diminished in any case.
Keith,

I use FSUPIC for all my assignments and calibrations also I use it to map my PTT via the network with FSinn but for some reason, FSUPIC wont talk with SB4 over the network. It's ok though because I'm fine with running PE on my FSX machine. Again, thanks so much for the help! I'm excited to start using this network!

Matt