new to fsx/pe Which headset?

dedalo

new to fsx/pe Which headset?

Post by dedalo »

Hi everibody ,I am new at Pilotedge and to any kind of Flight simulator: I am going to install and use for the first time Fsx and Pilotedge , and I am wondering what kind of headset/ microphone am I going to use . Do I need something in particular or I may use any kind of headset/mic ,usb or non usb ? any advice for using the ptt yoke for communicate ? ty
Keith Smith

Re: new to fsx/pe Which headset?

Post by Keith Smith »

I use a USB headset with one ear piece, leaving the other ear piece open. I actually have all of the audio, including ATC, coming out of the main speakers (not headset). This has two advantages:
1) if I need to take off the headset, I can still hear what ATC is saying
2) if I am showing someone the system, they can hear what's going on even if they're not wearing the headset

If those two advantages aren't of interest, then you can run the ATC audio to the headset and keep the engine noise coming out of the speakers, as is traditional.

For the push to talk, I would use a joystick to keyboard mapping tool, or FSUIPC to map the appropriate button on the yoke or stick to trigger the PTT.
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

I use an inexpensive audio style headset and mic that plug into the front PC audio jacks. It works well enough for how I use the simulator. However, Keith makes some excellent points about the advantages of the USB headset.

In my case, I have to turn the motor sounds down very low to be able to hear ATC. Perhaps unrealistically low. There's important operational information in the airplane sounds.

Further, the single headset set up does make it very difficult to show the system to someone else.
dedalo

Post by dedalo »

thank you guys for the suggestions