[FSX] Protocol error: Connection timed out

frank

[FSX] Protocol error: Connection timed out

Post by frank »

Hello,

I am new to SB, but have installed everything as instructed and have been getting the above message. Running FSX and SB in the same machine; starting SB outside FSX.

FSINN in VATSIM still works fine.
Keith Smith

Re: Protocol error: Connection timed out

Post by Keith Smith »

Click on the About option in the pilot client. What version number do you see?

Also, what is the title of the pilot client window?

My guess is that you are running stock sb4.
frank

Post by frank »

Hi Keith,

Version is 4.0. I downloaded everything from the the site. Perhaps I messed something up when transferring files into the SB.

What do you mean with pilot client window? Sorry, just pulled an all nighter, I am sure it will come to me :0
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Frank,

the 'pilot client' is the software that you're using to connect to the network. For now, the process is to install Squawkbox 4.0, and THEN copy some ADDITIONAL files into the SB4 installation to get it talking to PilotEdge. When you fire up the client, the window title should be "SquawkBox_PE for Microsoft Flight Simulator" If the PE reference isn't there, then you're still running on the stock SB4 and your installation process was incomplete.

This will all get easier in the near future with a complete installer package, but for now, the process involves following those steps closely.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
MXMiles

Re: [FSX] Protocol error: Connection timed out

Post by MXMiles »

I'm getting the same message. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I am not very familiar with firewalls but could this be the problem?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

What is the version of the software in the About menu? Is it still the same as before?

The firewall could definitely also be a problem. Try disabling it for a moment while you try to connect.
MXMiles

Post by MXMiles »

I managed to connect to the server last night but only if I joined outside the norcal/socal area. When I then tried to move my aircraft to a parking spot at an airport within the area I would lose my connection. The message in squakbox would say: "connection to flight simulator lost" "protocol error". Do I disable my firewall from the linksys page or through the control panel on my computer. Sorry for my ignorance on computers...
MXMiles

Post by MXMiles »

One other thing I will point out is FSX appears to lock-up (not responding) while squakbox is loading the drone aircraft. It is strange though that I can connect without crashing at an airport not in the norcal/socal area. It only happens when i'm in a controlled area.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Try setting your multiplayer visual range to a relatively low number (say, 5nm, initially). This is done within the Squawkbox PE options. Let me know if that allows you connect within the coverage area, or if it still hangs the moment you connect.
MXMiles

Post by MXMiles »

Ok, I tried your suggestion and I am able to connect to the server with the multiplayer visual range set as high as 10nm. At least I connected and was not immediately booted.