FSX Software for Taxiing

ceranes

FSX Software for Taxiing

Post by ceranes »

I am looking for a suggestion of a good piece of software which allows a pilot to see where they are located at the airport, especially when taxiing. I have the airport diagrams printed out, and I have a second window with a "top-down" view. But it would be easier to have a "gps" type window which shows exactly where you are at, AND labels all the taxiways.

Does anyone know of something like that?

Thanks.
Chris Ranes
Cyrus

Re: FSX Software for Taxiing

Post by Cyrus »

I orient myself using the FSX "Top Down" view to start with, and then reference the airport diagram on a separate screen. If I'm really lost, I bring up the PE Live map in satellite view.

If budget is not an issue, go for Foreflight with GPS for the plates.

Also, if you do get lost or aren't that familiar with a particular airport, you can always ask Ground for a progressive taxi.
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Check out "Plan-G".

http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

If $$ isn't an issue, then +1 for Foreflight. This goes DOUBLE if you are a RW Pilot as it's quite possible to use Foreflight in the RW cockpit as well.
Last edited by wmburns on Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

ceranes, with an initial top down view to get yourself oriented and the airport diagram, you have what real pilots typically had in airplanes up until fairly recently. The advent of georeferenced plates for GA use is a relatively new thing. It should be possible to get around with just the basics, unless the airport layout is completely wrong in the sim, in which case life is going to be difficult.

It's really good practice to correlate what you see on the diagram with what you see outside. I still taxi r/w without georeferenced plates...just the eyeball and a diagram.
Roger Wigfield

Post by Roger Wigfield »

I have installed AivlaSoft EFB. It gives great airport detail, moving map and even identifies FSX parking spots. It also has tons of other info. The great news is you can try it for 30 days before purchase.