AI traffic visable, multiplayer traffic not

asad112

AI traffic visable, multiplayer traffic not

Post by asad112 »

Hello. First I would like to say what an awesome experience I have been having on PE so far!

Last Friday around 1700PST, I was flying my little 172 into Las Vegas. According to what I was hearing on ATC, there was some multiplayer traffic present at the time (a B737 and a Piper of some sort if I recall). For some reason, that traffic didn't generate (despite I incorrectly called out the fact that I had spotted the '37 (whoops). This became a bit more confusing when I was told to give way to taxiing traffic. I checked my settings, and I do have the model set order preferences on default.

Now, I am getting the AI (or drone) traffic, but not the mulityplayer for some reason.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
wmburns

Re: AI traffic visable, multiplayer traffic not

Post by wmburns »

If you are seeing the drones, then multi-player is working. Likely you didn't "see" the taxing aircraft because it as "below" the ground elevation (land sharking). Sometimes this happens because of different simulators (FS2004 FSX, P3D, and X-Plane) and baro pressure settings. There are slight variances in the earth elevation data than can make the problem worse at some airports than others. Sometimes the other player aircraft will "float" above the taxiways.

To prove this, go to the PilotEdge live map.

http://map.pilotedge.net/map/

What you are looking for is if the other player traffic is also on the map with you. Then left click each aircraft and compare the altitude or your plane to the other player.
asad112

Post by asad112 »

Thanks, that sounds like a good explanation. The only suspicious thing was the 737 that was on final at the same time I was. I'll check the map next time this occurs per your advice. Thanks again.
nigelmcelwee

Post by nigelmcelwee »

I find the floating plane thing alot mainly because I fly xplane and FSX airports are typically at a fifferent elevation due to the terrain differences. It sure would be nice one day if the networked aircraft could be calibrated in xplane to move it up or down based on the airport you are at. Like a LUA script that could calibrate on the fly so when you land at an airport if the scenery is floating you can lower it if its sharking you can raise it. sharking is quite funny. I am sure the FSX/P3D guys get a kick out of seeing my rudder and beacon just cutting through the runway!!!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The long term goal is to have the pilot client determine if a plane is on the ground or not and then clamp it to the ground in the visual system, regardless of its reported altitude. Really tricky to do for helicopters, but a little easier for fixed wing.
nigelmcelwee

Post by nigelmcelwee »

that would be really cool if it could work one day. I have learned to live with it but would be nice to see a fix come through. Im still happy with online flying though. I wont fly anywhere else but PE coverage areas.