A2A Cessna 182 with the Flight1 GTN750

flyingdrill

A2A Cessna 182 with the Flight1 GTN750

Post by flyingdrill »

I usually use PE in X-Plane in OS X. However, I do have Windows 7 in Boot Camp, and use FSX in that. I was thrilled with the new 182 from A2A, and decided to add the Flight1 GTN750. Unfortunately, that causes a CTD immediately one loads the plane, but works perfectly if one runs FSX as administrator! This "fix" is even recommended in the Flight1 support forum. It appears to be a "must".

Unfortunately, this means I can't transmit with PE...... I didn't remember that this was in the configuration instructions, but scanning the forum popped up some reminders.

So, does that mean that my lovely GPS equipped 182 will have to fly with the FSX 430, or no GPS? Seems a shame.......
wmburns

Re: A2A Cessna 182 with the Flight1 GTN750

Post by wmburns »

Unless I'm mistaken X-Plane comes with support for all Operating Systems on the same DVD. That means you could load and run legally X-Plane on the Win7 PC. With the X-Plane 10.30 comes the support for the new GPS.

Are you running FSX in full screen mode or windows mode?
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

As wonderful as the F1 GTN750 is, be aware that its database is woefully out of date and there is no economically viable way to bring it up to a current release. I've found several approaches that have been substantially changed (the ILS into KCRQ comes immediately to mind) from what the 750 has in its database.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
hoser70

Post by hoser70 »

There's someone who is updating it and I believe he is found here. ;-) I can send you the latest that I got from him, or PM me for his contact info and I'll send you his email so you can be added to his mailing list where he sends regular updates.
Thanks,
Lance

NDB Air
crum

Post by crum »

flyingdrill wrote:So, does that mean that my lovely GPS equipped 182 will have to fly with the FSX 430, or no GPS? Seems a shame.......
If you run FSX as Admin, then try to run PE client as Admin too - this may help.

BTW have the same problem with C182 + GTN and the same solution.
Artem Crum
EASA PPL(A) SEL, not current
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Hi
To wmburns: running in windows mode. Yes, I know about XP in Windows, but that misses the point. I have no problem with OS X (usually) and XP.
To Mark: Yes, you are right. It's a 2011 database..... A pity.
To hoser70: If I can get PE to work, I'll PM you for that.
To crum: I'll try running the PE client as suggested, but I thought (according to PE's own instructions) that it wouldn't work. I can receive just fine. It was just that the PTT didn't work at all!
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Hi Crum

Success :D

Running both FSX and the PE client as administrator was the solution! Just completed a trial flight with the 182, GTN 750 and PE with no problem!

PE's instructions say: Do not run Microsoft Flight Simulator as Administrator. Doing so might interfere with the Push To Talk operation of the radio

Well, it did not allow the PTT to work - but your "fix" did the job. Confusing stuff :roll:

Thanks for the suggestion. Now, I wonder quite why Flight1 admit you should run their GTN in administrator mode, but omit to tell you in their documentation (unless I missed it!). Also, I have to ask quite why they have this requirement, as I am not aware of any other add-on that needs this, although I stand to be corrected!

Regards.
crum

Post by crum »

This is a pretty well known problem. FSX/P3D in "Admin mode" doesn't allow to intercept key presses and mouse button/wheel actions to the apps in "User mode" (i.e. EZCA has similar issues). So the fix here is just obvious.

But still hope devs from Flight1 will figure it out and make their GTN work without Admin rights. There is an idea need to be tested - to install GTN Trainer out of "Programs" folder which is protected by Windows. May be it will solve the problem.
Artem Crum
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Artem,

I have EZCA installed, but only bothered to configure it for the A2A 172! I usually just disable it when using other planes. It's a bit of a pain setting it up, but one I keep meaning to do. The fact that I mainly use X-Plane in OS X doesn't really help! :D
Are you are saying that if I now want to use EZCA in the 182 when I use that with the GTN750, I would have to restart EZCA in administrator mode?
crum

Post by crum »

Without Admin mode for EZCA you may have (or may have not) problem with middle button and mouse look or/and with mouse wheel and view zoom. This is floating problem, but now you know what to try first.

And you can remove EZCA entry from exe.xml and start it via FSUIPC facility, then EZCA will be started with the same privileges as FSX.
Artem Crum