FSX: Steam Edition compatibility

n122vu

Re: FSX: Steam Edition compatibility

Post by n122vu »

I'm still receiving the SimConnect Error when running FSX: SE. Are there any other workarounds I can try?

Thanks,
n122vu
Rush

Post by Rush »

n122vu, I figured out the problem with the SimConnect error. Helped fix it for 2 friends already.

What I found is that if you had a dual install at any point in time, and then try to uninstall Legacy FSX, and the PE client there are troubles with reinstalling, and then getting SimConnect to work. I am assuming you got PE installed ok, but when you go to connect, SimConnect isn't allowing it to see FSX running. The problem lies in the Registry. When I did this for myself, I didn't have anything to compare it to. As I explained here, I reformatted Windows with a fresh FSX:SE install and got it working with the 3 steps Keith provided. Last night I compared our two registries and there were some differences... I exported the missing registries from my machine to his, and then he was able to connect no problem.

If you still haven't figured it out, I'd be glad to help. A TeamViewer session might in order for something like this, as that was how I was able to finally fix it.

But first will you tell me if these 2 registries exist for you?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0]

and

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0]
Rush

Post by Rush »

I have created a Steam Guide for this which can be found here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =363732627

Keith, I can make you a contributor so you can go in and edit the guide if you would like. I'm not too good at stuff like this so I hope it makes sense. :?
DMalott2

Post by DMalott2 »

OK so I followed the steps and for the most part I didn't have any trouble. I now open FSX and when I try to connect to PE, an error message says cannot connect to Air Traffic Control Server (in PE). I do not understand what everyone is talking about the "administrator mode". Well I just checked m email and I had 11 emails from billing@PilotEdge.net, saying that I have multiple accounts. If I had ever used this program in the past it was probably for less than an hour because I don't remember. Also, they let me setup a new username with the same email I have had for over 10 years... strange stuff. I am wondering if this is why it wont connect to thee ATC Server.
DMalott2

Post by DMalott2 »

I was right about the account conflict being the cause of the error connecting to the server. However, I still don't understand how to transmit on the comms. I can hear the other pilots but I cant transmit.
Rush

Post by Rush »

DMalott2 wrote:I was right about the account conflict being the cause of the error connecting to the server. However, I still don't understand how to transmit on the comms. I can hear the other pilots but I cant transmit.
Go to options > voice. And set the push to talk key to something you would like. I personally use Caps Lock.

Need to run PE in Administrator mode. Put the PE icon on your desktop. Right click > properties > compatibility > there will be a box that says Run as Administrator. Check that.

When you are logged in, go ahead hit your push to talk and see if the tx green light illuminates. Try to ask them for a radio check!
Viola!!
Rush

Post by Rush »

Update for FSX:SE just came out today.

When booting up FSX it installs a new version of simconnect. Then at the FSX splash screen it says that the PE client isn't compatible with this version and that it should be uninstalled, then installed again. I did not reinstall, and it still works, however I have lost the PE client transponder. Later I will try to uninstall and reinstall the PE client to see if that fixes it.
Rush

Post by Rush »

Had some time to work on this tonight. Since the update and after installing the new simconnect version, I began to get this message whenever I startup FSX.

Everything works perfectly if you just hit "Yes" to this prompt. Not sure why we are getting it in the first place, but great news that it doesn't affect compatibility.

http://i.imgur.com/oCbensF.jpg
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

It's because the DLL's aren't signed. The original version of FSX allowed you to permanently trust the DLL, rather than having to verify it each time. Thanks Steam Edition for this Wonderful Change(tm).

I'll see what I can do about getting the DLL's signed, but I can't promise that'll be soon.
DVA4098

Post by DVA4098 »

I recently started my 2 week trial and ran into the same issue with the Sim Connect. I did a google search and found this thread. Since I'm not able to use pilot edge with steam yet, will I be able to get an extension on my trial so I can try it out while we wait for a solution?