Utility for Push-to-Talk and other add ons.

RonCraighead

Utility for Push-to-Talk and other add ons.

Post by RonCraighead »

Hello all,

Getting my sim squared away... Decided to get both FSX and XPX, but for now I'm focusing on FSX.

I'm going to run the A2A Cherokee 180 and the 172 (eventually) with the 430 added. That's most of what I fly RW... And I'm hoping will take me through my instrument rating once I get the $ to get that done!

I also want to teach some ground school to my girl and some friends... Get as much value from the sim and PilotEdge as possible before they start spending $100 per hour in a plane. Maybe mesh the sim with a sylabus that includes the sim and PE.

I have the Saitek yoke, button panel and the throttle (lever type). CH products pedals... Thinking of adding on the radio stack and calling it good.

Couple questions.

I've read reference to a push to talk key mapping utility that allows my Yoke PTT to be used. What specifically do you use that works for you?

I have the Saitek yoke, button panel and the throttle (lever type). Thinking of adding on the radio stack.

Any other suggested software add ons? In the XP side there are a bunch of free sceneries for the airports in the PE area. I was hoping to get one at least for Gillespie. If I take them flying, that will most likely be the airport they will fly out of.

Thanks in advance.

Ron
Ron Craighead
VFR and IFR Pilot, High Performance and Complex Endorsement (AT-6 Texan), Tailwheel Endorsement (Cessna 170), Spin Endorsement (Great Lakes) and survived some acro!
FAA Advanced Ground Instructor, Instrument Ground Instructor.
par2005

Re: Utility for Push-to-Talk and other add ons.

Post by par2005 »

All my advice is about FSX. This is what I use.

re PTT
JoyToKey. If you won't find it, pm me I'll send it to you. Very simple to use and does what is says on the tin.

Re addons
I use blueskyscenery, they cover whole of California. Takes a while to download, but looks nice. Make sure you set LOD_RADIUS to at least 7. Makes a massive difference. Some people don't like photoscenery though (it's flat when low). I, myself prefer being able to navigate using real charts and also good framerates.
Rex direct textures (clouds, runways, water, etc), and for weather - Active Sky weather.

Navigation
Make sure you update all the NAV data for your sim - this way you have the latest vor's, ils'es, fixes, etc. All the goodies here: http://www.aero.sors.fr

Configuration of the sim
Make sure you configure it properly. There are plenty of guides online. Basically it requires some tuning of fsx.cfg, and video card settings.

Thats it for now, feel free to ask