Bug Found with FSX PE Client Install

ridikamus

Bug Found with FSX PE Client Install

Post by ridikamus »

Hello folks,

I'm a freshly activated trial member, and I had some trouble with the PE client install - hopefully this is an appropriate place to post about it. I was able to resolve it, but for documentation and future people who may run into the same issue, here's how the problem manifested itself and how I resolved it.

The Environment:
FSX Gold
FSUIPC 4
Active Sky Next (ASN) SP2 Beta
EzDok EZCA
FS Recorder <---important later

The Problem:
After an error-free PE client install, I launched FSX with the goal of setting up a PTT key via FSUIPC and connecting the PE client. I was not prompted to authorize any PE DLLs. Once I got into the sim, I discovered that FSUIPC was not listed in my Add-ons menu, so I diverted my attention and attempted to troubleshoot that problem.

The Solution:
The PilotEdge installer had corrupted my DLL.XML file (%APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml) like this:

Code: Select all

<Launch.Addon><Name>FS Recorder</Name><Disabled>False</Disabled><ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad><Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\FS Recorder for FSX\FSRecorder_FSX.dll</Path></Launch.Addon>
    <Name>FSUIPC 4</Name>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <Path>Modules\FSUIPC4.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
As you can see, when the PE installer rewrote the DLL.XML file, it lost the "<Launch.Addon>" tag for FSUIPC. The lines immediately after that code snippet are the two PE addons, formatted properly. The cause is the PE installer being unable to handle the "all on one line" format used by FS Recorder. I have reproduced this bug twice, and have verified that it does not occur if the FS Recorder entry is removed entirely or reformatted with a single tag per line.

For anyone searching for a solution, adding in a "<Launch.Addon>" tag above whichever addon is missing one should fix the problem. Correct code for me:

Code: Select all

<Launch.Addon><Name>FS Recorder</Name><Disabled>False</Disabled><ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad><Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\FS Recorder for FSX\FSRecorder_FSX.dll</Path></Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>  <!-- This line corrects the issue -->
    <Name>FSUIPC 4</Name>
  </Launch.Addon>
If there's a need for my broken dll.xml file, I've saved a copy and would be happy to make it available for testing purposes.

Follow-up: I just got back from my first PE flight. Everything worked perfectly and the flight was without incident, but I can tell you that mic fright is REAL! I'm looking forward to getting over it here on PE.
V-3 CAT-11 I-11
Keith Smith

Re: Bug Found with FSX PE Client Install

Post by Keith Smith »

Thanks so much for posting it. The installer doesn't use a real XML parser but instead uses some specific string searches which makes some assumptions about how the code was written. I'll see if I can get this resolved in the future.
Nelly42

Post by Nelly42 »

I believe this is happened to me. I bought and downloaded this 4/3/2015 and it just will not download.
I can barely get around in my computer trying to figure this out like the poster did is out of the question.
Would there be any way I could delete Pilotedge then get simmarket to resend the FSUIPC and the reinstall the Pilotedge.
I also have a terrible time with mike fright.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Nelly42, the solution is to become comfortable with opening and editing a file on your computer.

I would suggest reading the "HOW TO FIND YOUR DLL.XML" section of this article: http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/ ... oting.aspx

Once you have opened the file in Notepad, simply look for this:
<Name>FSUIPC 4</Name>
</Launch.Addon>
and replace with:
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>FSUIPC 4</Name>
</Launch.Addon>
I highlighted the changed line. Don't panic...take your time, and understand what's going on. Each add-on is contained in a <Launch.Addon> block. The block starts with that label, and then END with </Launch.Addon>.

Look through the file carefully and you'll see that pattern. What's happening is that the beginning <Launch.Addon> element is missing for the FSUIPC module. Just add the one line and you're done.
ridikamus

Post by ridikamus »

Keith, I think you typo'd an extra "[" (square bracket) in your fix that's going to cause problems if included.
V-3 CAT-11 I-11
Nelly42

Post by Nelly42 »

Keith,
Not sure i'm at the correct d.ll. Sent you a screen shot.
Thanks Nelson
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (73.19 KiB) Viewed 8193 times
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

DavidC wrote:Keith, I think you typo'd an extra "[" (square bracket) in your fix that's going to cause problems if included.
Thanks, fixed it.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Nelly42, that look right. I contains the standard modules as well as FSUIPC. It doesn't contain the 2 PilotEdge DLL's, though, so I'm not sure if you looked at that file before or after PE was installed, but the DLL.XML file you posted looks reasonable (assuming that actually is the path to FSUIPC).

So, now you can install various packages and then check the DLL.XML after each one to make sure it's in good shape.
Nelly42

Post by Nelly42 »

Keith, I had a windows 7 crash so I'm back to the beginning. I hate to be such a bother.
Could you send me the path from computer on to install Pilotedge?

Thanks Nelson
Nelly42

Post by Nelly42 »

Keith, I have the Pilotedge installed and am receiving and sending. Now I would like to get the PTT switched to my yoke.
Thanks again for your help.
Nelly