Ability to hear other pilots from different frequencies

skaler

Ability to hear other pilots from different frequencies

Post by skaler »

Hi all

I don't know is that normal or not, but during the flight I can hear other pilots talking with ATC from another frequencies.
I can understand when I'm able to hear the same ATC voice giving instructions to other pilots working on different frequencies, but why do I hear their response to ATC.

For instance : I'm doing pattern work over Ramona (Krnm) with tower frequency tuned on my radio, so simultaneously I can hear like other pilots communicating with ATC from Los Angeles or John Wane airports and so on I haven't even memorized particular names

What are the settings should I change in order to eliminate this issue. Or probably this is normal
Keith Smith

Re: Ability to hear other pilots from different frequencies

Post by Keith Smith »

The controllers on PilotEdge work multiple positions (in the order of hundreds of positions each). As a result, it's common to hear a PE controller working a pilot, but not hear the pilot read back because they are on another frequency (this does happen in real life, but not on the scale that we use here).

With network traffic increasing steadily earlier this year, pilots were stepping on each other without knowing it, often with 3-4 pilots calling at the same time.

As a result, the radio system was modified to simulate the use of repeaters, allowing pilots on one frequency to hear pilots on another frequency to reduce the number of blocks. This isn't common in the US, but I believe it does exist as a solution in Europe.

Specifically, the repeaters are enabled when the controller you are working with is responsible for handling the combined ground role. More detail is available here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4866

To answer your question specifically, this is the intended behavior for PilotEdge. It's not perfect, but it is the best compromise.
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

This is by design and actually somewhat mimics real world.

Some of the posts where this covered.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4866

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3681

This is a very common question.
skaler

Post by skaler »

Got it :)
I was offline for couple months so I missed that morning of change :)
Thanks for quick response.