SquawkBox Won't Connect to ATC Server

Vybiral

SquawkBox Won't Connect to ATC Server

Post by Vybiral »

MSFS-X installed and running, not "paused". SquawkBox window open. SquawkBox "Connect" window open and all fields populated correctly.
Server: PILOTEDGE:PilotEdge Network: PILOTEDGE Name: PilotEdge Details: PE Public Server Address: pilotedge.net
Simple, VFR, Direct-To Flight Plan (KPVF>KMHR) loaded in both MSFS-X and SquawkBox. Aircraft parked, off runway. Engine off, avionics ON.
When I click the connect button, I get a Status window that says, "An error occured connecting to the Air Traffic Control server
Connection refused [Close]"
In SquawkBox dialog window, in the left-hand window pane, a message in RED, says, "[ERROR] Protocol error: Connection refused

Tried again. This time, I got a different error message that says, "SimConnect Error. You cannot connect without Flight Simulator running.
Confirm Flight Simulator is started."
Please tell me what I am doing wrong.
THANK YOU!
Respectfully,
John Vybiral, flying N764DC and N175JP out of KPVF (Placerville, CA)
Keith Smith

Re: SquawkBox Won't Connect to ATC Server

Post by Keith Smith »

Check the 'about' screen within the pe software. What is the reported version number?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Btw, if this is running as a module, then the installation steps weren't completed correctly. Sb pe is not available as a module for fsx. If you are seeing a module then it is the module from the stock sb4 installation and should be removed, per the installation instructions.
Vybiral

Post by Vybiral »

OK. Tried again as follows:
Un-installed Squawkbox and all traces of it from both C:\ and F:\
(FYI, the entire F:\ drive is dedicated to MSFS-X and related software. Everything else is on Drive C:\.)
Re-booted. Copied sb4setup.zip directly to F:\drive root directory. Unzipped contents. Rebooted again.
Removed sbmod10.dll, Squawkbox_fs.exe and Squawkbox_fsx.exe from F:\drive root directory.
Re-booted. Copied sb_pe_fsx.zip directly to F:\drive root directory. Re-booted again.
Unzipped sb_pe_fsx.zip, over-writing the older .dll files and folders. Re-booted again.
Connected to Internet, and went to pilotedge website, “BETA” page , then “FSX” page.
Started MSFS-X.
Positioned airplane (a Diamond DA20 Eclipse) in KPVF parking area with engine off and avionics on.
Verified there is no longer any Squawkbox available from the MSFS-X pull-down menu labeled, “Add-Ons”… only FSUIPC … is available. True.
Clicked the “CONNECT” button on the PE > BETA > CONNECT web page to get further instructions.
Attempted to connect to PE by running F:\squawkbox_pe_fsx.exe.
Immediately got the “fail” sound through microphone/headset along with the following message:

"F:\squawkbox_pe_fsx.exe
(big red letter) X
F:\squawkbox_pe_fsx.exe

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Pleas see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

Please help. Hate to miss another pilotedge NorCal event tomorrow night at FAT & STS!

This would be SO COOL!

Thanks for your help!

Respectfully,
John Vybiral
NorCal pilot
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

3 things:
- no need to reboot after each step. Save yourself some time
- are you running fsx sp2?
- you unzipped sb4setup, but did you run/install it? The steps you described above are nice and detailed, but I don't see that step. I only see the part where you unzip the sb4 setup program.