How to make other traffic visible...

bjratchf

How to make other traffic visible...

Post by bjratchf »

I'm new to pilotedge and was wondering...

Today on my first flight I was able to see drone traffic along the shoreline by LAX (pointed out to me by the controller)- however, I could not see other pilotedge pilots. In fact, I was told at KSBA to give way to a piper and continue taxi, but I couldn't see that traffic.

I have only IVAO_MTL installed- is there an SMS file I could use with this? Or other settings I'm not configuring?

Windows 7 x64
FSX: Steam Edition
wmburns

Re: How to make other traffic visible...

Post by wmburns »

What might be happening is something called "land sharking". The other PE planes are there but because of differences between simulators (X-Plane, FSX, P3D), terrain data, and altimeter settings, your simulator is rendering the other planes altitude "below" ground level. Hence why you can't see them.

Sometimes the simulator will render other airplanes "hovering" over the taxi ways.

The fact that you CAN see the drones confirms that your sim is set up correctly. Further if the other PE members are visible on the PE live map, that confirms they are really there.

Because the different simulators use different zero origin aircraft reference points and the different simulators have at times vastly different earth geo data, there isn't a good solution to the problem short of having everyone use the same simulator.
bjratchf

Post by bjratchf »

Ok thanks for your response- I was thinking it was something wrong with my sim since I didn't see the aircraft listed under "air traffic"-

I'm currently testing on the ground in LAX and see a 737 in a VIP livery (and he's listed in my air traffic list, so all is well). I imagine an sms/vmr file could be created to read one's AI Traffic folder to pin down different paint schemes and aircraft types.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Yes, you could add your own smd/sms files to match what you actually have on your machine.

Note: if you've removed any of the stock aircraft from FSX then you should modify the pe.smx file and comment out or remove any planes that you no longer have. That would be another reason for not being able to see traffic is is PE is trying to create aircraft that you don't actually have.