Broadcasting FSX - Reflector 2 & OBS

bbuckley

Broadcasting FSX - Reflector 2 & OBS

Post by bbuckley »

I'm attempting to set up and broadcast on Twitch. I have a high end Windows 8.1 machine. I want to broadcast (or record) an FSX flight in full screen mode, I'm using FSXFlight to feed my iPad ForeFlight and I'm trying to use Reflector 2 to mirror the iPad to a window on the PC. Then capture and broadcast both the FSX and IPad window using Open Broadcaster Software (OBS).

I am failing miserably...
1. Reflector 2 keeps crashing when FSX is running.
2. I can't get anything but a black screen using OBS and Window Capture for the Reflector 2 window.
3. I was able to record FSX using OBS Game Capture one time (without starting Reflector 2), but ever since all I can get is a black screen. The audio records.
4. I did create Global Sources for both the Window Capture and the Game Capture. No help.

If there are an Twitch / FSX superusers that use FSXFlight, ForeFlight, Reflector 2 and OBS or some subset of those that can help I'd greatly appreciate it. I have open tickets with the software developers but no answers yet. And I have posted this same topic in AVSIM FSX forum.

THANKS!
Bruce
Commercial / Instrument / KMLB
Keith Smith

Re: Broadcasting FSX - Reflector 2 & OBS

Post by Keith Smith »

I can't use obs with xplane full screen, it has to be windowed. have you tried running fsx in a window?
bbuckley

Re: Broadcasting FSX - Reflector 2 & OBS

Post by bbuckley »

Keith Smith wrote:I can't use obs with xplane full screen, it has to be windowed. have you tried running fsx in a window?
I switched to XSplit for the broadcast software and it seems pretty good both full screen and windowed. I had trouble last night with PE while using XSplit to record. The PTT function wouldn't work. I could hear the controllers and other a/c and on the recording my mic was loud & clear but no one on PE could hear me even though the com box showed transmit when I pressed the PTT button. I tried again later and it seemed to work if I start FSX first, then PE and establish the connection then start the XSplit software and recording. All these apps communicating with each other make things very fragile.

Now I'm trying to get Reflector 2 to work with FSX. It crashes almost every time with FSX running. Their support asked me to send in log files, which I did Monday, but they've been silent since so no help there.

I'll figure it out someday... thanks for your help and hope you enjoyed OSH 15.
Bruce
Commercial / Instrument / KMLB