PE drones.

Jetblue291

PE drones.

Post by Jetblue291 »

Hi, just wanted to say I am loving the environment in PE. I've avoided GA flying for a while now flying strictly study based aircraft like the ngx with RC4.
, very satisfying but still not REAL. Anyway one small issue I've seen is the drones. I see them just fine but, as an example departing Banning mun today bound for Ontario there was 2 b58 barons in the pattern and they would land off the runway half submerged in the ground with sparks and smoke everywhere, this really killed the immersion. I've done some reading about different platforms geo data causing issues, is that what's happening here? Thanks!
Keith Smith

Re: PE drones.

Post by Keith Smith »

Yep, geo issue. They were recorded in xplane. There is a solution but it is a long way off.
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Jetblue291,

Could there be a "solution" to your problem right at hand? What about converting to X-Plane? :twisted:

I can tell you for my own personal experience when I made the change from FSX to X-Plane I absolutely hated the X-Plane UI. However after I made some adjustments in my home sim set up, the differences have largely disappeared. By giving up something familiar (FSX) and going to X-Plane I get some of the following:
  • A more accurate flight model
  • Excellent integration with the PE experience
  • A living sim environment that is actively being updated and supported. Not like FSX that's stuck in 2005
  • A sim engine that makes better use of today's modern multi-core CPU's. Not like FSX that almost totally a single core application.
  • A weather engine that generally works out of the box. Doesn't require an "add on" software that often cost just as much (or more) as the sim itself
  • A sim that could run on Linux if you wanted to. Yea Windows haters unite!
  • Membership in a pretty cool club :D
If you have never tried X-Plane, why not? It's free to try. The only cost is your time. Be fore warned that the UI will have you pulling your hair out at first. if you can stick with it, it's quite possible that the pain will be worth the gain.

<ducks for cover from the rocks thrown by the FSX fans>
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

I've never had any issues with the XP UI, it's actually pretty easy and intuitive for me... But then again, I've never bothered with trying to set up ESP with FSUIPC, EZDok, REX, ActiveSky, Orbx, and whatever else people are using. Best part? No tweaking dll files :D
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
Jetblue291

Post by Jetblue291 »

Thanks for the fast reply Keith, and others. Like already stated I've built a pc from ground up for fsx so it should handle xplane. I'm open to giving it a go for sure, but if I end up sticking with fsx the drones are not a problem for me. I'm on PE for the realistic ATC environment, not drones, so I will use them for what they are there for, keeping my head on a swivel looking outside to identify possible incursions with other traffic. Thanks for PE I'm just getting started with PE and I'm wondering why I've waited so long, like your workshops state time and funds prohibitvme from ABY real world aviation these days, so this fills that void nicely!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I was thinking about your issue a little more and there is a simple solution. If you operate exclusively out of towered airports, you will not see this issue again (with the exception of GCN which does have some helicopter drones operating from the non-movement area, however I am considering removing those in the future).

The drones only operate at non-towered fields, so by flying in and out of towered airports, you won't run into them during the taxi or landing phase of flight.
Jetblue291

Post by Jetblue291 »

Just wanted to add I tried xplane today before my fsx session out to Catalina, where there was a helicopter fest going on, and I was impressed with xplane after a couple hours getting my controls,keys,rendering set, very nice indeed. I managed to get the same great visual quality as I do in fsx with nowhere near the performance hit. Xplane would be learning the basics of configuring the sim all over againvand it might be worth it considering from my take there are far more xplane users on PE, I may be wrong on that though.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Were you using the hd csl packages for the helicopters at avx? That is something worth seeing at dusk with HDR turned on.
Jetblue291

Post by Jetblue291 »

No I don't think so. I saw on the dl page only xplane had the hd cls. Are they available for fax, and if so where can I find them.
Jetblue291

Post by Jetblue291 »

Sorry fsx I meant. I didn't fly PE with xplane I was in fsx on my trip to Catalina.