SAITEK YOKE PRO DISCONNECTS

bbuckley

SAITEK YOKE PRO DISCONNECTS

Post by bbuckley »

A new problem has cropped up and I don't know what initiated it, but now every time I connect to the PE client while flying the Carenado Phenom 100 the Saitek Yoke and throttle quadrant disconnects. It's fine before I connect on PE. I have a high end PC, Win 8.1 and registered version of FSUIPC. When I fly the Carenado Archer under the same conditions, the Saitek stays connected after connecting to PE client. I increased the JoystickTimeout in FSUIPC4.ini to 5000 thinking the Phenom was taking longer to poll the Saitek but no impact. I suspect it's an issue related to FSUIPC4 so I'm going to post in AVSIM to see if Pete Dowson has run across this but has anyone here had a similar issue?
Thanks,
Bruce
Commercial / Instrument / KMLB
wmburns

Re: SAITEK YOKE PRO DISCONNECTS

Post by wmburns »

Just wondering if this is USB power related. WHERE do you have the USB for the throttle quadrant plugged into? The yoke or directly into the PC? If directly into the PC, are you using an USB port from a different power group (IE a different USB header on the mother board)?

Are there any USB quick charging options enabled on your mother board? IF so, consider adjusting.

I had some issues with USB power on my Saitek setup which is similar to yours. I ended up getting an external power supply for the yoke. Now there's enough power to run the yoke, throttle quadrant, and rudder pedals. This has also fixed some issues with loosing connectivity when the PC goes to sleep.
bbuckley

Post by bbuckley »

The throttle is plugged into the yoke (PS1 connector?). I haven't had any issues with the yoke / throttle before and it's still fine when I fly the Archer so I'm thinking it's a software timing issue between FSUIPC / PE client / yoke. Thanks for the ideas, I'll keep an eye out for pwr issues.
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

Maybe not related but I have had some issues with using USB headers (non direct to mobo)
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Hi Bruce,
I have a high end PC, Win 8.1 and registered version of FSUIPC. When I fly the Carenado Archer under the same conditions, the Saitek stays connected after connecting to PE client. I increased the JoystickTimeout in FSUIPC4.ini to 5000 thinking the Phenom was taking longer to poll the Saitek but no impact. I suspect it's an issue related to FSUIPC4 so I'm going to post in AVSIM to see if Pete Dowson has run across this but has anyone here had a similar issue?
A few thoughts, if you haven't already double checked them:

1. Update your FSUIPC from 4.853 to the current release of 4.944a at http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66139-updated-modules/

This is one of the more actively updated software modules, and support by Pete Dowson is dependent upon having the most recent version installed. Also it may be the issue you are having has already been corrected in one of the later updates. Takes 3 minutes, max, to install the update.

Also, Pete is very quick to respond on his forum at: http://forum.simflight.com/forum/30-fsu ... n-modules/ , frequently within an hour or so, depending upon time of day, as he's in the UK. Which is not generally the case on the AVSIM forum. Just make sure you have the most recent version (4.994a) , and provide the FSUIPC4.log printout, and the FSUIPC4.ini file.

2. Double check that FSX Settings > General > "Pause on task switch" is un-checked.

3. The JoystickTimeout is only applicable for EPIC USB devices so you might as well return it to default =20 (see FSUIPC Adv User Guide). In any case it will be ignored.

Its not clear to me how you are calibrating your yoke, or how the yoke is being sensed -- if its through FSX, or FSUIPC. (I use FSUIPC only with my Saitek Pro Cessna Yoke, without problems)
It appears from your .ini file, that you have not calibrated fully with FSUIPC, because they are just default values. Just make sure there is no conflict between the two, i.e. if you use FSUIPC to handle the control axes, then UN-check the FSX Settings > Controls > "Enable Controller(s)" or delete the yoke axes joystick assignments FSX > Settings> Controls > Control Axis Tab >. If you are using FSX for calibration, try using FSUIPC instead. The full step by step instructions are in the FSUIPC4 User Guide.pdf ..FSX\modules\FSUIPC Documents.

I don't use the Saitek throttle/props/mixture quadrant via the "PS-2" connector on the side of the ProYoke (I have a different throttle quadrant on a powered USB hub.)

4. Since you have a Win 8.1 installation, you might try setting AutoScanDevices=Never in the .ini file. It may help, it may not -- but reportedly it solves some USB issues with some Win 8 systems

5. Because you have FSX installed in the "protected" files area C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X, double check that the user access rights for all the modules you are running with the same rights (i.e. run as administrator, etc) Was the Carenado Phenom 100 installed with the same access rights as FSX, PilotEdge software and FSUIPC? [I use Win7x64, with FSX installed on its own drive, and I disabled UAC when I originally set up my system. I can't speak directly about this in regards to Win8.1, other than I've seen it be a source of problems for others. [See also FSUIPC4 User Guide, section "Important Note for Vista and Windows 7 Users]

6. Double check in Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers > "USB Hub" > Properties > PowerManagment Tab, that you Un-check "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

You probably have already checked out everything, but I've seen your post on a couple of sites, so I know that you'd like to get this straightened out. So, for what it's worth, these items were what I could think might be worth double checking, if you haven't already.

Best of Luck,
Don
bbuckley

Post by bbuckley »

Hi Don -- Wow thanks! As you can tell I'm really struggling with my understanding on this one. I'm reasonably good technically, just built an awesome new gaming PC and have done a good bit of programming, but FSUIPC has always been a "black box" to me that I've assumed worked on witchcraft... :D I'm out of town today but will go through your guidance step by step tonight when I'm home. A few things from memory:
Donovan wrote:2. Double check that FSX Settings > General > "Pause on task switch" is un-checked.
Unchecked.
Donovan wrote:Its not clear to me how you are calibrating your yoke, or how the yoke is being sensed -- if its through FSX, or FSUIPC.
It's not clear to me either :D but you given me some good clues and tips to fix it. The "Enable Controllers" in FSX settings is checked and axes are selected so I guess I was using FSX settings and not FSUIPC.. I'll update ad reset tonight. Do you use the "ShortAircraftNamesOK=Substring" "Yes" or "No"?
Donovan wrote:5. Because you have FSX installed in the "protected" files area C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X, double check that the user access rights for all the modules you are running with the same rights (i.e. run as administrator, etc) Was the Carenado Phenom 100 installed with the same access rights as FSX, PilotEdge software and FSUIPC? [I use Win7x64, with FSX installed on its own drive, and I disabled UAC when I originally set up my system. I can't speak directly about this in regards to Win8.1, other than I've seen it be a source of problems for others. [See also FSUIPC4 User Guide, section "Important Note for Vista and Windows 7 Users]
I was wondering how you deduced that and then I saw the entry under [Sounds}. When I built this PC I completely reinstalled everything and used c:\MyFSX directory for FSX on a 500 GB SSD. Not separate, still has the operating system on it but I install most everything else to a HDD. I don't know why that entry persists. I'll fix. I disabled UAC when I installed everything (still disabled) and I installed and run everything "As Administrator" because I don't really know how the access rights work in Win 8.1... But it is odd that the Phenom is affected but not the Archer so after I do the other things if it persists I'll reinstall.

Thanks so much for your great help!
Bruce
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Hi Bruce,
Do you use the "ShortAircraftNamesOK=Substring" "Yes" or "No"?
I have it set "=Substring". Makes it easier when setting up multiple profiles, to include which liveries you want to use a particular setup.

Don
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Bruce,

Had a moment to browse Pete Dowson's site and found this:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/78887- ... nnections/

You might want to take a look.

Don
bbuckley

Post by bbuckley »

Don, Thanks so much! All is well now. I updated FSUIPC, cleared all axes in FSX settings and the Enable Joystick checkbox, then reassigned all the yoke / throttle buttons and axes using FSUIPC then calibrated in FSUIPC. Both aircraft controls work great and the Phenom stays connected after connecting PE Client. After checking it all out I went back in and disabled the power saving in both the Device Manager for HID Saitek and in the Power Management for USB devices IAW the post you pointed me to. I really don't think it was a power issue though. I'm going to watch it though, I do want the power to the yoke to go off when the computer "sleeps".

My next step is to create profiles for different assignments for Props and Jets, etc for the Saitek. Then I have a new Aerosoft F-14 that I want to install and fly using my CH FlightStick Pro so I'll have to figure out how FSUIPC handles the different controller and make sure it only applies to the F-14 (and any other similar airplanes I want to apply it to).

Your help was critical thanks again.
Take care,
Bruce
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Bruce,
Both aircraft controls work great and the Phenom stays connected after connecting PE Client.
Great to hear it! See you up there!

Don