FSX Acceleration/Win10 PilotEdge Install Error

somedudeintn

FSX Acceleration/Win10 PilotEdge Install Error

Post by somedudeintn »

Hello Everyone,

I found out about pilotEdge and was really excited about starting to use it. I'm having an issue that I have not seen posted about, but I do realize that PE does not state that they support Windows 10. I'm just hoping to see if someone has an idea for a solution/workaround.

When I go to install pilotEdge, I get the error that there is not a valid version of FSX installed. I have the install CD's for FSX and the Acceleration pack that I used for the installation so I'm not sure why I'm getting that error, but am wondering if it has something to do with Windows 10.

If anyone has had success with FSX Steam Windows 10 with PE I would consider buying the steam version too. Thanks for any help you all can provide.
ridikamus

Re: FSX Acceleration/Win10 PilotEdge Install Error

Post by ridikamus »

I have PE running on Windows 10 but it was an upgrade from Windows 7. One thing I noticed when moving to Windows 10 (and people have mentioned this in other threads and contexts) is that you need to run both FSX and the PE client as administrator. You also need to run the PE installer as admin (Right click the installer, choose "Run as Administrator"). I'm not sure if that will fix your problem, but it's worth a shot!
V-3 CAT-11 I-11
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

There are plenty of us out here using Windows 10. I doubt that this is your root problem.

Is this a new sim setup? Has the sim ever worked even without PE?

Try running the original installer jobs "as administrator". What I have found is that the FSX installer will look for other software dependencies and attempt to automatically "fork" a child install. However the child fork will fail unless the parent has administrator rights. The FSX installer isn't smart enough to catch this error and give an error message. So the installer completes without the required dependencies installed. You don't find out about until the application attempts to run and can not.

The other option is for you to manually install the dependencies. Likely this is the Visual C re-distribute. However I have found there are sooooooo many that this is easier said than done. The good news is that once the dependencies have been installed, then future re-installs will proceed without drama.

Also when FSX has been installed with the Acceleration (or latest FSX service pack), do a test flight before installing PE. This will give the firewall pop-ups the needed OK. As well as proving that the base FSX install works.

Don't forget to right click the PE install job and also run as administrator.

Be sure to update this thread with the resolution so that others can benefit.
somedudeintn

Post by somedudeintn »

Thanks for the detailed response. I will look into these later today and report back. I've had fsx acceleration installed for about a year now and it works fine. I do remember having one issue that I had to do something to fix(delete a file or something) but I don't remember exactly what that was. Original install was Windows 7 and I upgraded to 10.
somedudeintn

Post by somedudeintn »

Progress update. I uninstalled FSX, cleaned the registry and reinstalled running the installers as Admin and installing into C:\ instead of C:\program files...

Ran FSX to make sure it worked ok, and it worked "Ok" but i had a bit of an issue with a black screen and had to exit and get back into the program before I could see anything. I tried to install Pilot Edge and did not get any errors about not having a valid copy of FSX. I think I mya still have a little work to do on getting FSX Acceleration running properly, but I believe the PilotEdge software issue is resolved. I'll provide another update once everything is working.
somedudeintn

Post by somedudeintn »

I turned down some of the scenery settings and fsx is working well. I'm using fsxflight with foreflight and had to reinstall FSUIPC for it to work with the changed directory. I'm having trouble connecting to the atc server, but since that's another issue I posted about it in a new topic.

Thanks for the suggestions.