FSX Steam Edition & PE...Looking for advice on new machine

larrythek

FSX Steam Edition & PE...Looking for advice on new machine

Post by larrythek »

I'd like to install FSX and PilotEdge on a new computer running Windows 10. I looked at Amazon and see FSX Steam edition available at $27. I also see FSX Gold Edition on DVD available at $169.

After checking out the PE forum, I see there are issues regarding the Steam edition used with PE when installed on a machine after the DVD version has been loaded.

I have copies of FSX Gold and Deluxe editions, but the activation codes have already been utilized.

So, I'm looking for advice regarding this new installation.
Are there still issues with the Steam edition with PE compatibility if there are no previous versions of FSX loaded on that machine?
Can I install FSX with the DVDs I have even if the activation codes have been utilized?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Larry
Shawn Goldsworthy

Re: FSX Steam Edition & PE...Looking for advice on new machi

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

I've had absolutely no issues with FSX:SE on PE. That was a fresh install of FSX SE though. I didn't install it over/ in addition to the regular FSX. Also, I'm running Windows 7, not 10 so I can't help with that.

Regarding your activation codes being utilized. It's happened to me in the past. You can give Microsoft a call and they will reset them for you. I believe there is a number to call when you try to activate it - they seem to be a lot more flexible with re-activating codes now that FSX can;t be bought anywhere anymore (except for SE of course)
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

larrythek wrote:I have copies of FSX Gold and Deluxe editions, but the activation codes have already been utilized.
The MS license agreement allows you to install FSX box on a single PC. BUT........it does NOT limit you to a specific PC forever. The FSX single user license can be transferred to a new PC as long as it is removed from the old PC.

The FSX box license is not the same as the MS OEM operating system license. The OEM license is good for a single mother board and can not be transferred.

When I build a new gaming rig, I personally have re-installed my FSX Gold set on the new PC without any issue at all. I have done it at least 3 times. This is not a violation of the license agreement because the software is not being used/installed on more than one PC at the same time.

Sooooo. If this were me, I would re-install the software that I have already paid for. If by some chance it does not activate, then I would try the MS phone in activation. I honestly don't think that will be necessary.

And then I would try out X-Plane using the $$'s saved by not having to buy another copy of FSX. (shameless plug).
Last edited by wmburns on Thu May 12, 2016 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
larrythek

Post by larrythek »

Thanks Shawn and wmburns for your very helpful responses.
Larry