Dropping "Packets"?

Vybiral

Dropping "Packets"?

Post by Vybiral »

Hi, guys!

Earlier today, I was finally able to establish two-way voice communication with ground/tower ATC at Brackett/ La Verne (KPOC)... Sort of. Transmission quality was very poor. I heard the controller use my N#, so I know he was talking to me when he said something about "dropping packets". Maybe I need some better equipment? Here's what I'm working with:
Computer is Intel i7 975, 3.87GHz quad-core, 12Mb, running Windows 7 Professional Edition, 64-bit.
Flight simulator is MSFS-X, Service Pack 2.
Internet connection is via Verizon wireless "MyFi" to a low-end D-Link wireless router (both just purchased).
Anyone else running an Internet connection similar to this? I live up in the Sierra, so my only options are Verizon 3-G wireless, dial-up (forget THAT!), or possibly Hughes satellite.
Any ideas?
THANKS!
Respectfully,
John Vybiral
Placerville, CA
Keith Smith

Re: Dropping "Packets"?

Post by Keith Smith »

John,

This does require a working broadband connection. Broadband implies low latency and high bandwidth. Satellite, 3G, or dial-up are all complete non-starters. I'm not familiar with Verizon's myFi product, but if it's 4G based, then it will be hit and miss. 4G has 'ok' bandwidth but still has highly variable latency. That would explain the voice breaking up.

There is something we could do on the networking side to make it more friendly to high latency connections, but that would be a major architectural change.

What you can do that might help is reduce the multiplayer visibility to a very low number (3nm, perhaps). This will reduce the amount of traffic that is generated for your pilot client and might make the voice more reliable. Give it a shot and see how you do.

Keith
Vybiral

Reduce "multiplayer visibility"?

Post by Vybiral »

Keith,

Once again, my very sincere "Thanks!" for your help. I will look for reducing multiplayer visibility in SB4 PE, correct?

Verizon says they might upgrade my home location coverage from 3-G to 4-G soon, possibly this year!

Respectfully,

John Vybiral
Mountain man
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Oh dear...it's 3G service that you have now? There's no beating around the bush, then....I can't imagine that it's going to work at all. That's simply not a broadband-like connection, both in terms of bandwidth or latency, and unfortunately, a broadband connection is a requirement for this to work. Trying to do high fidelity position report sending, receiving, and voice over IP over such a narrow slow pipe is going to result in a frustrating experience.

I'm sorry, John, I know you were chomping at the bit to try this.

If it's of any interest...there is an ASF seminar in Sacramento on Sep 27 entitled "Say Again? Radio Communications Done Right." at a hotel in Sacramento. Precision Flight Controls (PFC) is going to be demoing PilotEdge on one of their desktop sims right outside of that exhibition hall. If you'd like to try it in person, that would be a great way to go!

I know of one pilot who flies using a Hughes satellite connection. The latency is definitely noticeable, but it does work for the most part. How long before 4G is an option?

Keith
Vybiral

Post by Vybiral »

Hi Keith,

Thank you for your honest evalauation of the situation. No promises from Verizon as to the 3G to 4G upgrade. Maybe it's time for me to just spend more effort on flying real airplanes again, instead of the countless hours I've spent on Flight Sim. Bummer of a day. My Dad died this morning. Gangrene.
John
Simon Ambrose

Post by Simon Ambrose »

Verizon has multiple network issues, with packets being dropped.

If I ping Google, from here in Maryland over Verizon, there is a node that always drops packets. It has been reported over the internet for years now, but never seems to be fixed.

If I ping Google, from the same location, over Comcast, I get ZERO packet loss.

Others in Maryland, using Verizon DSL & Fios report the same packet losses. Sometimes facebook takes for ever to load over Verizon , apparently !!
Last edited by Simon Ambrose on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

John,

That is quite a day. It's hard to imagine what you're going through. Please accept my condolences and we'll see you again whenever you're ready.

Keith