FSX client crashes

Kyle Rosenquist

FSX client crashes

Post by Kyle Rosenquist »

Downloaded and installed the newest PE FSX Client today, but have had problems with the app crashing shortly after connecting to the network.

First off, when installing the client the installer crashed several times with "user32.dll" being the culprit. I had uninstalled the original SB4 (for VATSIM) and the previous PE FSX alpha client before running the newest version of the installer. After clearing the SB4 registry entries and rebooting a few times, the installer completed without crashing. I got the exact same problem when trying to install the new client on a networked laptop I have used PE and SB4 on as well (both machines are running Win7 x64).

Each time I've connected to PE today, the client has crashed within 5-10 minutes of running. I'm running PE on my FSX computer (not using the networked laptop). When it crashes, FSX completely freezes and Task Manager shows the PE client as "Not Responding", but I can still hear the voices on the radio. After killing the PE process, FSX instantly starts running again. Not sure if this could be anything related to the crashes, but I'm also seeing a bunch of red text in the client window that reads: "[ERROR] Error from server: (0)".

I've never experienced a crash when running the earlier client versions during the public beta, but this is the error message I get now:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: pilotedge_fsx.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4e86ad18
Hang Signature: 8841
Hang Type: 0
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be appreciated. Thanks!
Brandon Grchan

Re: FSX client crashes

Post by Brandon Grchan »

This also just happened to me in the FS9 version....I immediately rebooted the client and it just crashed again immediately
Brandon Grchan
PilotEdge Air Traffic Controller
DrZGard

Post by DrZGard »

Turning off any antivirus and antispyware during install and installing as administrator? Rebooting after initial install? I did have a prompt in NOD32 come up on first running of the updated client software which I did promptly give the OK to and then upon opening FSX I got some additional prompts to OK the dll's within FSX. Hoping you get it sorted out and working soon.
Regards,
Dr. Zane Gard
ASEL IFR

AOPA #00915027
EAA #825848
American Mensa #100314888
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Thanks Kyle,

We'll work to get to the bottom of this. Due to launch time constraints, the installer was completed pretty late in the game. The underlying code is almost identical to what was run in the beta, but there are some small changes.

The installer crashing is obviously a concern, but for now, let's see if we can tackle what's up with the client.

To make sure I have your environment pictured correctly, can you verify this is running as a single machine (FSX and the PE client on the same machine)? Also, is the stock SB4 client still installed? When you have a moment, could you post the dll.xml file from your %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX folder?
Kyle Rosenquist

Yes, the PE client is running on the same machine as FSX. Also, the regular SB4 installer also crashed the same way the PE version did, so I doubt that something you changed to the original SB4 code is causing it. During testing this evening (when the crashes happened), SB4 was not installed...but, I had to manually delete the SB4 folder and clear the registry entries because SB4 wasn't showing up in the Add/Remove Programs list for some reason (sounds like a corrupt install!).

In any event, I've never had SB4 (or the PE client) crash when connected to the network until today. Here's my dll.xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
<Descr>Launch</Descr>
<Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Addon Manager</Name>
<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
<Path>bglmanx.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>
<Disabled>True</Disabled>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Level-D Simulations</Name>
<Path>Modules\LVLD.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>FSUIPC 4</Name>
<Path>Modules\FSUIPC4.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>SquawkBox Transponder</Name>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\SquawkBox\sbtrans10.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>SquawkBox AI Control</Name>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\SquawkBox\sbaicontrol10.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>SquawkBox Internal Version</Name>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Squawkbox\sbmod10.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>VistaMare Core</Name>
<Path>VistaMare\ViMaCoreX.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>PMDG Options</Name>
<Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDGOptions.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>PMDG Events</Name>
<Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDGEvents.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>PMDG Sounds</Name>
<Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDGSounds.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>PMDG HUD interface</Name>
<Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDG_HUD_interface.dll</Path>
<DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>
<DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>PilotEdge Transponder</Name>
<Path>F:\PE\petrans10.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>PilotEdge AI Control</Name>
<Path>F:\PE\peaicontrol10.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>
Thanks for the help!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Good info, thanks Kyle.

Let's shoot to completely completely remove the SB4 installation that's there. The registry entries I'm less worried about, but I still see the sbaicontrol10, sbmod10.dll and sbtrans10.dll files in the dll.xml. If you're comfortable removing those entries, then please do that.

Then, see if the PE installer executes without a hitch.

Also, when you connect, ensure the MP visibility is something fairly low, like 5 miles, or even better, connect somewhere where there are no planes at all (like Chicago or Florida or Alaska) and let it sit for a while. Let's see if the crashes are traffic related or not.
Kyle Rosenquist

Removed all SB4 traces from my dll.xml and reinstalled the PE client as an administrator, with both firewall and antivirus disabled...no issues there. Tried to fly a few laps of the pattern at SMO, and immediately after takeoff, the client locked up again. Reloaded at DFW (where there's no traffic) and the same thing happened within one minute. Doesn't look like the crashes are traffic related...
DrZGard

Post by DrZGard »

The FSX client was running fine last night when I tested it. This morning I got a crash of the client server shortly after climbing out on a VFR flight plan and contacting center. I rebooted the computer, set up to repeat the flight but this time started the client as administrator. This time it didn't crash, I completed the VFR portion of the flight, stayed connected and filed an IFR flight just to push the system a bit more. No repeat of the crash. Possibly the client needs to be started as administrator or it might have been a fluke.
Regards,
Dr. Zane Gard
ASEL IFR

AOPA #00915027
EAA #825848
Kyle Rosenquist

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried running the PE client as an administrator and initially got better results. Loaded up away from traffic and stayed connected for a solid 15 minutes without crashing. Moved to the ramp at SDM, got taxi clearance, and found that I was no longer able to reach ATC once holding short of the runway. I minimized FSX and noticed that the PE client was again frozen and not responding. I'd hate to do a complete FSX reinstall due to the many addons I'm using, but at this point, it looks like I'm running out of things to try.

What I find interesting is that the symptoms of the client crashing vary. Sometimes FSX completely locks up until I kill the PE client process. Other times, FSX still runs, but my fps drops drastically from 40+ down to 7. This time, FSX continued to run smoothly and I had no idea the client had crashed until I minimized FSX to look at it.
DrZGard

Post by DrZGard »

Kyle, have you looked over Nick Needham's guide for setting up the computer and FSX? It can be found here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic29041.html and I have found NIck's help very useful for optimizing FSX on my computer.
Regards,
Dr. Zane Gard
ASEL IFR

AOPA #00915027
EAA #825848