PilotEdge ATIS released

Re: PilotEdge ATIS released

Postby sono » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:51 pm

Bob Denny wrote:I am also thrilled with the PE ATIS. This is great!!

I have a suggestion for X-Plane users at least. Is there a way to use the weather coming from PE (METAR?) to feed the weather in X-Plane itself?

It is my understanding that if you fly with xplane 11 set to real world weather the PE atis should closely align to that, (in otherwords PE atis is not made up weather for the airport, but obtained from real world info also).

That also means in pre flight planning you can use real world weather information as you would if you were flying in real life.

(Any differences in runway might be for operational reasons and if you are not happy with the cross wind. In that atypical situation you can request a different runway from the controller anyway)

Note if you are not aware: If you do not want real world weather for any reason when you will be flying on the network:
1. The PE flight plane filing web page allows you to mark you are using custom weather as part of your flight plan and:
2. In-flight you can inform the PE ATC controller you have Zulu which letter is reserved to indicate to him or her you are flying with custom weather; Zulu is not used by the PE atis.
Last edited by sono on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:37 am, edited 6 times in total.
PE CAT-11, I-11, SKY-8
EASA and FAA (61.75) Private ASEL AMEL Instrument
sono

Postby sono » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:20 am

Keith Smith wrote:Mirroring this from the Discord post I made on Saturday evening:
Since it's likely to come up pretty quickly as a question for those who upgrade to the new plugin, you may notice that the ability to file flight plans from the XP client has been removed. In the interests of our own sanity and spending precious development time wisely, we're going to centralize flight plan filing on the web-based form. This already has more functionality and features than the in-client forms and the gap would have widened more with upcoming work we're doing, so this is the right time to make the change.
The custom weather option in the web-based filing form now has the effect of suppressing the PE ATIS so that you are able to receive the in-game ATIS where appropriate.

Keep a shortcut on your desktop to the filing form, and use the option to remain logged in to the site.

I think I mentioned in discord that on windows platform this (non ATIS related change) might have been easier for existing customers to adapt if the flight plan link that was on the old plugin was kept on the new plugin but on the new plugin automatically fired up your windows default webbrowser at the now required PE filing page. This suggestion is not just to save a link, or to just to ease the transition but also relates to the workflow where you arrive at the airport, jump in the plane, get the atis to determine the wind etc, plan your departure and then file (e.g using your foreflight ipad). Additionally, In the sim you are likely using all your screens for the sim so having to windows alt-tab to the browser and find the link does also impact that sim experience compared to the old plugin in that regard.

(This change I am suggesting will also have the benefit of avoiding Keith having to update all his rating training videos where he currently filing using the plugin :lol: :lol: )

Just a thought and I accept in the scheme of things it is minor...
PE CAT-11, I-11, SKY-8
EASA and FAA (61.75) Private ASEL AMEL Instrument
sono

Postby Keith Smith » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:01 am

Sono, as we've discussed a few times...there will be more changes coming to the web-based flight plan filing system. It's not practical to keep mirroring the changes in 3 locations (P3D client, X-Plane client and web-based filing). Hence, we're focusing on the web-based filing. I am aware of the disadvantages of losing it from the X-Plane plugin. I miss it, too. However, we have reviewed the logic for this several times now.

As for the sim using all screens...that's not how myself or most people I know use their sim. It's common to have one screen reserved for a web browser (skyvector, charts, chat, myflightroute, streaming, etc) and the other screen for the sim.
Keith Smith

Postby Bob Denny » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:13 am

I apologize... the X-Plane "real weather" is currently broken in 11.31. So I am not getting the NOAA METAR the usual way. I checked the PE JSON feed and the ATIS coming from PE via https://www.pilotedge.net/atis/all.json is exactly that same METAR as that which NOAA is showing at https://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/observa ... ar/cycles/ so once XP gets their real world weather working again, PE's ATIS will indeed be real world if that's what is selected in XP's weather options.

Sorry again for the silly post.

-- Bob

Bob Denny wrote:I am also thrilled with the PE ATIS. This is great!!

I have a suggestion for X-Plane users at least. [...]
Bob Denny

Postby sqvision » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:32 pm

I have just flown into SAC. The digital ATIS online already showed information X (updated 0453z) for over half an hour though the voice ATIS at 0527z still readed "W" on the ATIS frequency 125.5. Is it common the digital ATIS online and voice ATIS don't match for over half an hour? Just wondering.
sqvision

Postby Keith Smith » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:06 am

That isn't a normal occurrence. We'll keep an eye on it today.
Keith Smith

Postby C177pilot » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:29 am

I'm on Xplane 11.34r1. When I file a flight plan with custom weather and connect to PE, my ATIS is disabled. Sometimes I will hear a word or two of the XP ATIS but then it is muted. I do not hear the PE ATIS either since I checked custom weather on the flight plan.
My question is, is PE supposed to disable the local XP generated ATIS when using custom weather? It seems to me that it should not do this. If the problem I'm having is not how its supposed to work, does anyone have ideas of things to fix it. I have the latest version of XP and I have the latest PE client plugin.
BTW, If I do not use custom weather, then I receive the PE generated ATIS just fine.

Thanks for any help.
C177pilot

Postby kevin meyers » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:19 pm

C177pilot wrote:I'm on Xplane 11.34r1. When I file a flight plan with custom weather and connect to PE, my ATIS is disabled. Sometimes I will hear a word or two of the XP ATIS but then it is muted. I do not hear the PE ATIS either since I checked custom weather on the flight plan.
My question is, is PE supposed to disable the local XP generated ATIS when using custom weather? It seems to me that it should not do this. If the problem I'm having is not how its supposed to work, does anyone have ideas of things to fix it. I have the latest version of XP and I have the latest PE client plugin.
BTW, If I do not use custom weather, then I receive the PE generated ATIS just fine.

Thanks for any help.

This is precisely how the system is supposed to work. Be sure to read up on the ATIS on the website. It makes perfect sense to suppress the ATIS when you are using your own weather.
Kevin Meyers
Retired PilotEdge Air Traffic Controller / Instructor
Dallas, Texas
kevin meyers

Postby C177pilot » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:13 pm

Perhaps I did not explain the problem correctly.
I read what I could find on the PE website and it does not mention the expected behavior of the XP generated ATIS if you are flying with Custom Weather. However, I did find the video made by Tim that introduced PE ATIS. At 4:52 Tim says that if the custom weather is checked, it will suppress PE generated ATIS and “you will get the ATIS from your sim...”. This is the behavior I would expect. However, I never get ATIS from my sim once I connect to PE. It does not matter if I’ve checked custom weather on a flight plan or not or even if I don’t have a flight plan.

Here’s what the behavior I would expect and it implied by Tim’s video:
1. If logged in to PE with no flight plan or flight plan without custom weather checked. The ATIS is generated on correct frequency from the PE network weather.
2. If logged in to PE with a flight plan and custom weather checked. The ATIS is generated on correct frequency from the simulator weather engine same as it is when not logged into PE.

Is this a correct expectation?

Here’s what I’d really like to see:
Make the PE client for XP automatically detect if the simulator is set for real-world weather. If XP is set for real-world then push the PE ATIS. If the weather is not set for real-world weather, then use the ATIS generated by the XP11 weather engine. This approach may not work for all simulators however, but it would sure make it cleaner from the XP11 pilot perspective.

Thanks.
C177pilot

Postby kevin meyers » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:50 pm

C177pilot wrote:Perhaps I did not explain the problem correctly.
I read what I could find on the PE website and it does not mention the expected behavior of the XP generated ATIS if you are flying with Custom Weather. However, I did find the video made by Tim that introduced PE ATIS. At 4:52 Tim says that if the custom weather is checked, it will suppress PE generated ATIS and “you will get the ATIS from your sim...”. This is the behavior I would expect. However, I never get ATIS from my sim once I connect to PE. It does not matter if I’ve checked custom weather on a flight plan or not or even if I don’t have a flight plan.

Here’s what the behavior I would expect and it implied by Tim’s video:
1. If logged in to PE with no flight plan or flight plan without custom weather checked. The ATIS is generated on correct frequency from the PE network weather.
2. If logged in to PE with a flight plan and custom weather checked. The ATIS is generated on correct frequency from the simulator weather engine same as it is when not logged into PE.

Is this a correct expectation?

Here’s what I’d really like to see:
Make the PE client for XP automatically detect if the simulator is set for real-world weather. If XP is set for real-world then push the PE ATIS. If the weather is not set for real-world weather, then use the ATIS generated by the XP11 weather engine. This approach may not work for all simulators however, but it would sure make it cleaner from the XP11 pilot perspective.

Thanks.

Ah, okay. I didn’t understand you meant the XP internal ATIS. In that case, I believe your own ATIS should function...
Kevin Meyers
Retired PilotEdge Air Traffic Controller / Instructor
Dallas, Texas
kevin meyers

PreviousNext

Return to FSX