Task-Saturated Penguin FBO network, changed hub to 46CA

FSE and PE make for a powerful combination
Keith Smith

Task-Saturated Penguin FBO network, changed hub to 46CA

Post by Keith Smith »

A good friend of mine pointed out, quite rightly, that Torrey Pines is not really an active airport in real life...it's a glider port at best.

So, with a little help from some friends, 46CA (Rancho Vallecito) is now the Task-Saturated Penguin hub.

The list of fields associated with the hub is in this sticky thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1093
Tim Krajcar

Re: Task-Saturated Penguin FBO network, changed hub to 46CA

Post by Tim Krajcar »

*slow clap* Much better. Unfortunately, Rancho Vallecito appears closed in real life per Google Maps (Xs along the runway), but that's alright -- I'll take a closed-IRL airport with a 2500 foot runway over a gliderport any day :) I guess the fictional storyline is that Keith bought that house on the strip and turned into a passenger terminal... Wings-style :)
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
kullery

Post by kullery »

Happy to see the move to 46CA.

Torry Pines never made it into MyFlightRoute because I had excluded gliderports and heliports from the FAA airport list (an arbitrary decision which I may need to reconsider since helipilot7 got me hooked on the 407).

Rancho Vallecito is still listed so I assume those "X's" will come off the runway as soon as Keith removes the trees and completes the runway resurfacing project.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Tim Krajcar wrote:*slow clap* Much better. Unfortunately, Rancho Vallecito appears closed in real life per Google Maps (Xs along the runway), but that's alright -- I'll take a closed-IRL airport with a 2500 foot runway over a gliderport any day :) I guess the fictional storyline is that Keith bought that house on the strip and turned into a passenger terminal... Wings-style :)
I might be wrong, but the airport isn't listed as closed in airnav. It doesn't appear to be uncommon for private airports to mark their runways with X's so that pilots who are flying over don't say, "I wonder what airport that is, let's land there and find out." With GPS so common now that, that's less of an issue (pilots know they can't land at private airports, but in the past, they might not have known exactly where they were).

So, I'm happy with the choice :)
kullery

Post by kullery »

Per the most recent NFDC facility listing, it still shows Airport Status as "O" (Operational) however the last update from the owner was on 3/8/1989. The airport was activated on 8/1/1981.

In an emergency, I would find the trees on the runway to be more intimidating then the "X's".

An isolated strip 26 miles from the border.....anyone care to speculate about the "cargo" that arrived here?
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Ummmm, yeah so I just looked at the satellite imagery. I just remembered, they paint an 'R' on the threshold for private airports, not an 'X'. So....yeah....this place is not being used in real life. And yes, tree ON the runway is a bad sign. *sigh*. I really like the gold swimming pool and the diamond-crusted water tower here, though, I think I'll stay :)
gavink42

Post by gavink42 »

I say we just make it into our very own private strip.

All we need is someone on the X-Plane and FSX/P3D sides to make us a decent looking airport, and we call it home!
- PP ASEL, instrument, complex, high performance
- Member AOPA, EAA, IMC Club, Piper Owner Society
- Cherokee 180C owner
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

I was looking at the 46CA airport information under Skyvector and found this other remark.

RWY 28 USED FOR TAKEOFF AND RWY 10 FOR LNDG ONLY.
http://skyvector.com/airport/46CA/Ranch ... to-Airport

Would it be safe to assume that we should follow this when landing/departing? If so, that would make CTAF/UNICOM (122.9) communications just a little more important wouldn't it?
Last edited by wmburns on Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

That might be because of the ridge just west of the airport. There's no published CTAF, so that's going to make it interesting :)
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

That might be because of the ridge just west of the airport. There's no published CTAF, so that's going to make it interesting :)
Or we could follow the AIM guidance for this case:

From 4-1-11
(MULTICOM FREQUENCY) Activities of a temporary, seasonal, emergency nature or search and rescue, as well as, airports with no tower, FSS, or UNICOM.

Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net