Suggested Unofficial Instrument Approach to 46CA?

FSE and PE make for a powerful combination
Peter Grey

Re: Suggested Unofficial Instrument Approach to 46CA?

Post by Peter Grey »

My post was suggesting reasons why there cannot be an ILS at 46CA, e.g. Steepness of terrain resulting in impossible minimums. Good point about an ILS and missed approaches on 28. Of course, I wasn't even considering that case, since that's landing in the wrong direction.
Whoopsie, I misread that then.

I thought you were saying that for a cat II approach you can have 100' clearance on an obstacle not at the airport and that's what you would need.

Yup, let's just say I agree with you on the no ILS allowed and leave it at that.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
jagipson

Post by jagipson »

ah, roger,

Yeah, the point I was (not so eloquently) attempting to make was that if a CAT-II approach requires a minimum visibility of 100 feet vertically (over the runway) then it's dubious to me that a CAT-II approach could be written for such an approach as 46CA RW10 where you nearly tail-strike the ridge on final.

My question about the minimum requirements for the design of approaches was implied. That question is nuanced. I'm not asking what the minimums for a given approach category are, but I'm asking about what requirements must be met by the airfield before an approach is designed. It's not in the bailiwick of pilots or controllers but of airport engineers, I suppose.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

I flew a couple of flights for FSEconomy this morning with the GPS as the backup. It was severe clear VFR and it's still tough to see. I ended up with the Julian VOR tuned and the course set for 135ish and tried to fly to the radial before making the turn to final. That did help with locating it. It's easy to see when above 4,000 feet but I'm still not able to get the approach right without blowing tires or melting brakes.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Steve, now that I'm running an avionics and repair shop at 46CA, I've been shoveling more and more dirt onto that ridge, trying to make it as high as possible! Gotta stay in business somehow!
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Keith Smith wrote:Steve, now that I'm running an avionics and repair shop at 46CA, I've been shoveling more and more dirt onto that ridge, trying to make it as high as possible! Gotta stay in business somehow!
So that explains it! Figured you made enough to retire on those expedite freight charges for 737 brakes and tires...
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge