Problems with airports in FSE but not in real world

FSE and PE make for a powerful combination
stevekirks

Problems with airports in FSE but not in real world

Post by stevekirks »

So...I had an assignment to 52CA in FSE the other day and I tried to do some flight planning and SkyVector said it was a helipad on UCSD campus. In spite of the reality staring me in the face, I punched it into the XP GPS and flew it off line and landed at a nice strip in the sim near Lake Matthews (near March AFB).

So, if I wanted to fly this online, what would I do? VFR? I could never get IFR since I was a 172 and it won't land on a helipad, Twitch streams be damned.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
theluckyone17

Re: Problems with airports in FSE but not in real world

Post by theluckyone17 »

stevekirks wrote:...I was a 172 and it won't land on a helipad, Twitch streams be damned.
Sure it could. Just simulate a really stiff headwind. 8-)
tshuff

Post by tshuff »

Sounds like you need the TY SHUFF WIND MANIPULATION ROD. Guaranteed to make all of your 172-from-a-helipad dreams come true.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

tshuff wrote:Sounds like you need the TY SHUFF WIND MANIPULATION ROD. Guaranteed to make all of your 172-from-a-helipad dreams come true.
(insert obvious rod joke here)

Bonus points: 46CA is an airport listed on the real world charts and FSE, but in the real world on the ground it's closed and part of the California state park system.

So...NO RULEZ...land where you want. When I realized that I could be heading for a helipad, I was just going to land on the ground somewhere then taxi near the building and shutdown to see if I could get credit.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
tshuff

Post by tshuff »

stevekirks wrote:
tshuff wrote:Sounds like you need the TY SHUFF WIND MANIPULATION ROD. Guaranteed to make all of your 172-from-a-helipad dreams come true.
(insert obvious rod joke here)

Bonus points: 46CA is an airport listed on the real world charts and FSE, but in the real world on the ground it's closed and part of the California state park system.

So...NO RULEZ...land where you want. When I realized that I could be heading for a helipad, I was just going to land on the ground somewhere then taxi near the building and shutdown to see if I could get credit.
That would have been my next suggestion. I've had to bend the rules of reality a few times with FSE. CRJ-200s are not meant to take off of 2500ft dirt patches, but you can do it as long as there are no hills around ;).
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

When I've had to do the big airplane, small field routine, I fly the big airplane into the nearest suitable field, then use a small plane to shuttle the jobs in smaller batches to/from the small field. It's part of the fun, for me at least.