Flying Penguin Club

FSE and PE make for a powerful combination
crum

Re: Flying Penguin Club

Post by crum »

dental1 wrote:Hi
i am fairly new to pilotedge and fse with v-1 -3 done and a few bucks in my fse account. Does your club fly into any towered airports with busy airspace. I want to find an fse group within pilotedge that gives me the whole range of learning options.
thx Lee
Invitation sent, check your 'Groups' in FSE.

And yes, you can fly what ever airport you want. 'Flying Club' doesn't mean anything more than a cheaper way to rent airplane and therefore an easier way to make your first money in FSE. No 'learning options' here - it's all up to you and PE environment.
Artem Crum
EASA PPL(A) SEL, not current
zengei

Post by zengei »

Neat, now that I've finished my ratings, I'll probably be getting into FSE. My FSE username is the same as on the forums here. Thanks.
crum

Post by crum »

zengei wrote:Neat, now that I've finished my ratings, I'll probably be getting into FSE. My FSE username is the same as on the forums here. Thanks.
Invitation sent. Welcome!
Artem Crum
zengei

Post by zengei »

crum wrote:
zengei wrote:Neat, now that I've finished my ratings, I'll probably be getting into FSE. My FSE username is the same as on the forums here. Thanks.
Invitation sent. Welcome!
Thanks a lot.
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

I also have had my eyes on this...joined FSE last week but I am not sure how best to proceed.

I honestly don't think I will get in too deep with FSE but I am intrigued nonetheless...that notwithstanding I also hear this is the crack cocaine of the fight sim world so I best be careful eh? :grin:

I have just got past my V3 and I am interested...I am seeking new routes to fly and challenges past my current comfort zone.

Please add me, user is the same as here on PE.

Thanks!

...just watch out now for the stealthbobber! lol
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

it's pretty easy to get started, rent a plane at a field with some jobs, load the jobs onto the plane. Start the flight in FSE from the sim, do the flight. Land at destination, shut down, parking brake, end flight in FSE. Count the $$$. Repeat.
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

The thing is...what happens when you loose money on your first flight?

Damm does someone own me then? Do I have to wash planes and do ramp work for a couple of days?

lol

It's the unknown...maybe just jump in with both feet. Whats the worst that can happen? Well other than having a higher takeoff count than landings I guess :grin:
crum

Post by crum »

stealthbob wrote:I honestly don't think I will get in too deep with FSE but I am intrigued nonetheless...that notwithstanding I also hear this is the crack cocaine of the fight sim world so I best be careful eh? :grin:
Technical part is a piece of cake and makes no addiction by itself (until that moment you're counting your last few $$$ to buy your own FSE-plane). But if you start to play with the concept of persistent plane states and positions, and moreover, not allowing yourself to jump from field to field with 'imaginary teleporter' and keeping your own position in FSE-world persistent, this brings quite new feeling and those could be very addictive.

Invitation sent. Welcome! And, yeah, be careful. :twisted:
Artem Crum
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

stealthbob wrote:The thing is...what happens when you loose money on your first flight?

Damm does someone own me then? Do I have to wash planes and do ramp work for a couple of days?

lol

It's the unknown...maybe just jump in with both feet. Whats the worst that can happen? Well other than having a higher takeoff count than landings I guess :grin:
Why would you lose money on your first flight? The cost of the flight will be the rental cost of the airplane plus a small percentage of the revenue from the jobs themselves (those are the fees paid to the FBO). Assuming you bring a few passengers along for the ride, you'll make money easily.

Case in point, I have a Baron at LAX right now. There are 3 pax going to VCV and 3 going to APV. You can take 5 pax in total in the Baron, so you could load the 3 VCV pax and 2 of the APV pax. Total pay is around $3200. Take out the FBO fees (10% if memory serves) and the cost of the aircraft (either the wet rate, or the dry rate + fuel used) and you'll be making money for sure.

Now, if you fly for a group, the group actually covers the cost of the flight and you get paid a simple percentage of the revenue.

Those are the two different approaches to flying on PE. You can fly for yourself (meaning the fees come out of your paycheck), or you can fly for a group (operating costs are paid by the group, and you get a fixed percentage of the revenue from the flight).
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

I think I get it now...just did as you said Keith, grabbed a simple flight and just did it.

Took a load of 2 PAX and flew 24CL-04NV in a rented wet King Air...made $700 lol

I see now know how it all is calculated and think I will be able to settle in, just need to find routes that take me from a towered field to another towered field to force me to get some mic time in, which is really what I am after in the first place. Looks like its a risk reward thing and with good planning one could do pretty good hopping into rentals and making some fse$$$

Thanks guys for the support!

See ya around the Penguin club sometime crum...