Cashen Airport (38CA), a 2-slot FBO, opens in Wasco, CA

FSE and PE make for a powerful combination
Geoff

Cashen Airport (38CA), a 2-slot FBO, opens in Wasco, CA

Post by Geoff »

Aubrey Aviation is pleased to announce the grand opening of its third FBO, Cashen Airport (38CA), in Wasco, California, about 25 miles northwest of Bakersfield. The field has a 4000-foot asphalt runway. Right now it has no 3D scenery in X-Plane, but I will make some for the X-Plane Gateway shortly. The FBO includes a repair shop. Fuel will arrive Saturday. Right now my 2 passengers terminals are pointed at 46CA, though no jobs are available yet.

The only catch is that Cashen is about one nautical mile north of the PilotEdge service area. :( (Keith, I hope it's okay that I point my gates at 46CA; if not, I'll understand.) Maybe pilots can still use Cashen's CTAF channel when landing there? Also, it appears that Peaware may log flights in or out of Cashen, though I'm not sure about that, either.

Also, I want to thank Ken (kullery) for his help in getting me organized. He taught me a lot about how to use heavy lifters to move lots of stuff around. Many thanks, Ken!

With this, I'm probably done building FBOs. (Famous last words!) I want to get back to flying for flying's sake, and I'd like to spend some time developing scenery for my three FBOs. But I'm glad to have learned how FBOs work in FSE.

Here's a link to Cashen's details on Skyvector: https://skyvector.com/airport/38CA/Cashen-Airport
Keith Smith

Re: Cashen Airport (38CA), a 2-slot FBO, opens in Wasco, CA

Post by Keith Smith »

No problem with it being 1 mile outside of the coverage area. The CTAF will work just fine (the radio system isn't aware of the ATC coverage area). The only practical limitation is that you won't be able to pick up an IFR clearance out of there, that's about it. Congrats on the FBO!
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Thanks, Keith!
davidspreckeriii

Post by davidspreckeriii »

Congrats! I'll be looking for jobs to appear soon then.

Keith, I noticed that the other night when I was in Mississippi but heard the ATC from CA come in on Atlanta's CT freq, which I'm sure shares with one in California. Makes me feel less lonely to hear other people while I do the long trek back to CA. 8-)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Normally you wouldn't hear anything so far away, however, the voice isolation logic change removes the range checks if you're tuned to the controller who is working the combined ground role.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

So I'm pleased to see that 46CA now has 8 passengers ready to fly to 38CA (Cashen) for $930 each. I'm tempted to rent a Pilatus PC-12 at Rancho and take the job myself, but I'm really more comfortable flying slower planes on the PE network. Plus there's the distinct possibility for hilarity if I try to take off (and especially land) a fast plane at Rancho Vallecito.

My guess is that jobs in and out of 46CA ideally should be performed while logged into PE. Is that right?

Also, are some of the aircraft parked at 46CA reserved for particular group members or anything? Are we expected to do a round trip to bring the aircraft "home"? Neither PC-12 lists 46CA as its home -- indeed, one is system-owned -- but I didn't want to step on anyone's toes by renting without asking first.
trigger_fsx

Post by trigger_fsx »

I have flown in a system owned PC12 from KNFL which is currently at KCMA. I try to use her for the KCMA-KTOA runs. You can fly her to 46CA if you like. Tail number is N-869VG.

Cheers
Jacques
Jacques Le Roux
N841LR
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Hey Jacques,

Heh, as it happens, I flew that very aircraft from KTOA to KCMA last night! I just bought the Carenado PC-12, and I wanted to try it out. It's very fun to fly.

So is it expected that if I take a FSE job at 46CA, I should be logged into PE?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

While I can't enforce it (obviously), 46CA was built to provide jobs for PE users to fly on the PE network while utilizing FSE. This is why I was initially reluctant for 46CA to show up in the various publications that report on traffic levels in FSE.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Regarding the liberation of aircraft from other fields on FSE...if a plane is for rent, you can fly it and go anywhere you want with it. If owners only want certain people to fly it, they can use the group mechanism to facilitate that. If they want to allow the public to fly it but prefer that the plane be operated within a certain area, they can use the 'distance bonus' feature to provide a financial incentive for pilots to keep the plane closer to home base.