What's your sign?

FSE and PE make for a powerful combination
Marcus Becker

What's your sign?

Post by Marcus Becker »

Just out of curiosity? When you fly your FSE jobs online, how many of you use the rented/owned aircraft tail number on PilotEdge? If you don't, why not?

Me personally, I use the FSE tail number as long as it meets regulation. If it's a system aircraft with N-xxxxx I will remove the "-" and still use it.
Geoff

Re: What's your sign?

Post by Geoff »

I'd consider doing that, but how will it affect the record of my flights in Peaware? I like having all my stats in one place. Does changing callsigns mean I have separate sets of records for each callsign?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

geoff, you can list all the flights by the account holder rather than callsign.

I'll post my answer to Marcus' question when able.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

When I can, I fly my FSE flights using the FSE N-number. If it's a foreign registry in FSE, I convert it to something else and go from there.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

When renting aircraft on FSE, I use the call sign of the rented aircraft unless it has a dash (which is removed). Seem more real world to me. Since I own and fly N55VM sooooo much, I have found it necessary to write the call sign down and tape it under the screen. Otherwise I forget.

I have yet to rent a foreign registered aircraft but If I did, likely wouldn't change it.

As far a PEawere stats are concerned, to me it's a mixed bag. If I'm interested in looking at just my stats, then I use the pilot search. The bad/good thing about looking at the over all stats is just HOW much time I really spend on PE (hopefully my Wife doesn't see :roll: ).

Lately however a new "issue" has come up. Been flying a bunch of FSE flights pure VFR lately. And since I often don't file a flight plan or get flight following, these flights don't show up in PEaware. Which might be best if my Wife ever looked. :)

Just wondering. How many aircraft owners allow rentals? My results have been very mixed. Long periods were no one rents and then all of sudden, the aircraft is moved to another location. On one occasion while I was still in the process of planning an FSE flight, someone rented my aircraft! What are the chances?
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I've never permitted a rental yet. Maybe I will at some point, but I like knowing where my (two) aircraft are.

As for VFR and Peaware, why not file a flight plan when flying VFR? I know it's not required and doesn't entitle you to any ATC services, but it's nice to have a record. I file a flight plan to do traffic patterns! But even I do forget sometimes.

Good to know about searching via callsign vs pilot in Peaware. In that case, I might consider using an FSE callsign. But I'm quite attached to the callsign I normally use. I'll think on it.
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

wmburns wrote:Just wondering. How many aircraft owners allow rentals? My results have been very mixed. Long periods were no one rents and then all of sudden, the aircraft is moved to another location. On one occasion while I was still in the process of planning an FSE flight, someone rented my aircraft! What are the chances?
I have 7 aircraft in FSE and all are available to rent. My biggest purchase (turned out to be the biggest money pit) was the Jetstream41. I had to get creative with getting some return on my investment. I wasn't flying it and neither was anybody else. I dropped the rental rate to where I was breaking even and posted an advertisement in the FSE forums with no takers. Then I thought of the idea of holding an auction for a short term lease. It brought some interest and income. I think I'm going to do it again as the lease expires in a couple weeks.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Marcus Becker wrote:I have 7 aircraft in FSE and all are available to rent. My biggest purchase (turned out to be the biggest money pit) was the Jetstream41. I had to get creative with getting some return on my investment. I wasn't flying it and neither was anybody else. I dropped the rental rate to where I was breaking even and posted an advertisement in the FSE forums with no takers. Then I thought of the idea of holding an auction for a short term lease. It brought some interest and income. I think I'm going to do it again as the lease expires in a couple weeks.
My single biggest roadblock to renting is whether or not I have a model in a sim to match it. Price is rarely the problem because I'll figure out a way to make it up when I plan the flight. Lately, I've been having a blast in King Air 350 that I found in Mexico and flew up to our area at $650/hr dry. It can take 14 passengers on a full tank of fuel which makes it easy to get your rental money back. I can use the default FSX King Air and easily putter the day away making flights for cash.

Now if I could only find an X-Plane version...
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
lwilliams

Post by lwilliams »

wmburns wrote: Just wondering. How many aircraft owners allow rentals? My results have been very mixed. Long periods were no one rents and then all of sudden, the aircraft is moved to another location. On one occasion while I was still in the process of planning an FSE flight, someone rented my aircraft! What are the chances?
I have a crapload of aircraft available to rent in SoCal. As mentioned by someone else, they are used sparingly, so I mainly keep them for myself to use. The only real concern I have ever had is with my Dassault Falcon. It is a purebread money maker on FSE. The problem is, that a few times with the Falcon, it has ended up in the far reaches of the universe (see picture).

I have since limited the rental time, cranked up the rental rate and changed to wet only rental. With the amount the aircraft get used by others, I am rethinking my ideas on rentals.
Attachments
wms.gif
wms.gif (124.57 KiB) Viewed 6436 times
Lee Williams
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Marcus Becker wrote:My biggest purchase (turned out to be the biggest money pit) was the Jetstream41. I had to get creative with getting some return on my investment. I wasn't flying it and neither was anybody else. I dropped the rental rate to where I was breaking even and posted an advertisement in the FSE forums with no takers. Then I thought of the idea of holding an auction for a short term lease. It brought some interest and income. I think I'm going to do it again as the lease expires in a couple weeks.
Just wondering if N534RM currently at 2CA3 is yours? Are you aware that it is down for maintenance? How does that work on a lease return?

When I first started flying on FSE my main aircraft was the JS41. I made a TON of v$'s running a routes around KCLT. At the time that was the only location I could find that had enough jobs to fill the JS41 (29 PAX). Even then it was a lot of work to find the right route and PAX combinations to make it work. My goal was to earn enough v$'s to buy my own JS41.

Of course at the time I thought 800k was a ton of v$'s. However, it would seem that anyone with 7 aircraft included a very expensive airplane, 800k doesn't really seem like a ton compared to others.

Fast forward to today. Almost never fly the JS41 anymore. The reasons are varied. Some home sim set up related. Some X-plane vs FSE related. Some stability related. Some personal goals related.

It's too bad there isn't a high quality X-Plane version of the JS41. I'm spoiled by PMDG quality.

The X-Plane JS32 just doesn't do it for me. Seems like there are just too many "issues" with how it alters the X-plane axis.

FSE really is a desert with islands of activity.