Xplane crash right at end of FSE flight

FSE and PE make for a powerful combination
stealthbob

Xplane crash right at end of FSE flight

Post by stealthbob »

This has happened too many times now to be a coincidence...

Quite frustrating when you end a good value flight after an hour or so....even more when you are trying to ferry your new plane over to the PE coverage area! :x

It happens after the brake is applied and then right at the engine shutdown, bang crash and lost of flight....I never get this when not on FSE?

I just lost a 3.5 hour final leg from Salt Lake to John Wayne and am quite frustrated. I also lost another 4 hour leg earlier as well...

Any thoughts?
BluesmanEP

Re: Xplane crash right at end of FSE flight

Post by BluesmanEP »

Try attaching the log.txt file from your X-plane folder so we can see if there's a plugin or something causing the crash...

Good luck!
BE58 - N4854B
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

It just did it again....

Getting tired of flying the same legs. :facepalm:

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.
Attachments
X-Plane Installer Log.rar
(3.58 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
BluesmanEP

Post by BluesmanEP »

I'm sorry to hear that!

Although, that's not quite the file I'm looking for. The log that I'm looking for is called log.txt and is located in the base X-plane folder (where x-plane.exe is located). This log file is generated freshly every time you open either X-plane, or plane-maker, so you'll need to copy the file right after a crash. If you've opened X-plane (or plane-maker) since the crash, the log.txt will have been overwritten.
BE58 - N4854B
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

It might also help if you mentioned:
  • operating system
  • Aircraft model/type. If payware are you running the latest version?
  • Are you able to re-create the problem using an X-Plane default aircraft?
  • What other add on's are installed? Does the problem occur if removed?
  • Are you running the latest version of the FSE plugin AND the recommended Python version?
It's VERY EASY to create a test system under X-Plane. Simply copy the X-plane home directory to a new directory. X-Plane does not use the windows registry to hold application variables like other applications do. On many of today's system there's plenty of hard disk space so that's not a limiting issue. But this gives an easy way to test alternate configuration without risking the primary system. I mainly use my test X-Plane directory to test Beta releases of X-Plane. But I have used to test new versions of other plug-in's especially for FSE.
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

Yea, sorry...missed the specs:

Win 7
FireFox
Sim just hangs forever after engine cut off with "Not responding" then I have to close it out
X-Plane 10.31
FSE client v 1.8.2.2

I was able to finally get the last leg done...no freeze up. Thinking it may be server connection related as it locks up right at the moment it needs to call the FSE server so I disabled my VPN and also kept my connection fresh by streaming in the background.

I will continue to keep VPN off for FSE flights and see....

The great news is I finally have my own plane (Barron) in the PE area. Now I just need to setup some jobs...

I was kinda "video gaming it" to get the funds to buy the plane so it was nice to get back to real world rules on the ferry flight back. Now I will force myself to only fly jobs on the PE system.
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Many VPN clients have an option called "split tunneling". That means that all network traffic would normally be sent down the VPN unless split tunneling is enabled. It's almost certain that the network on the other end of the VPN doesn't know or allow the FSE traffic back out the far system's firewall. Hence the packets are "black holed".

Note that many corporate VPN set ups will not allow split tunneling due to security reasons. But I have no idea what the VPN is for or what security policies that the VPN might force. IMO it's almost certain that the FSE "hang up" is VPN related. When the flight is ended, the FSE client needs to contact the FSE servers. FSE does not communicate during the flight. Now I'm a little at a loss to understand how you are able to start the flight with the VPN active (unless this isn't the case).

If you are able to enable split tunneling this may fix the issue.

If you are able to start the flight with the VPN active, then the solution may lie in the MTU (max transmission unit) being too large for the VPN and fragmentation not being allowed.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I used to manipulate the routing table directly, making sure that my default route was via the normal net connection rather than the VPN. Then, I added specific routes for addresses or subnets which would be handled by the VPN. The short version is that even if your VPN client doesn't allow this option, you can manipulate the routing tables to get it working the way you want. That said, explaining how to manipulate the routing table is probably beyond the scope of what I'd want to attempt to cover via a forum post.

If you are using the stock VPN client that comes with the OS, there is a simple setting which says "Make default gateway" or something like that. If you turn that OFF, you might be able to achieve the same thing, and if you're lucky, the machines you want to reach by the VPN will already be covered by the routes which are added by the VPN client as is. You might get lucky and not need to do any manipulation.

A good way to check if it's working is to go to a web site that shows your IP address (eg, whatismyipaddress.com) when your VPN is OFF. Then, enable the VPN and try the site again. If you see the same IP as before, then you have isolated the VPN usage just for VPN-bound traffic and you should be good to go. However, if you go to the site and see a different IP than your first visit (when the VPN was off), then it means all your traffic is going by the VPN.