Groups Best Practices?

FSE and PE make for a powerful combination
stevekirks

Re: Groups Best Practices

Post by stevekirks »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. After reading the replies, I've moved my money and airplanes into a group to use like a holding company. I've reduced the rental rates to be lower than the market to see if there's a way to encourage use. I also have a high "distance bonus" used as a "deposit" to keep the airplanes in the PE service area.

I think (in my case) it's pretty easy to make virtual dollars if I need to. I've spent the last few days over in the Middle East, flying a Dash 7 picking up large system-generated jobs, and amassed about $100K. It was all low value experience flights - stop and go on the runway, time acceleration and multi-hop flights. I tried to find an area that had low operations and stuck to system jobs so I would "rob" someone's network of jobs that had been constructed for "normal" flights.

FSE is tough to pin down because (thankfully) the structure is so wide open. Chilkoot Air is featured in this month's FSE magazine which is a great example of how the FSE infrastructure is used to build their own social flying network. I wonder if there's value for that in PE.

For now, my goal is going to be to get money from one part of the FSE system, buy airplanes that are commonly used on PE, then rent them with the idea to get usage and not cash. I'm even considering dropping the wet rate entirely so people are paying small virtual dollars per hour for a small plane.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Scott Medeiros

Re: Groups Best Practices?

Post by Scott Medeiros »

I've established my groups (Pacific Med Air Ambulance & Imperial Air Freight) in order to have two separate flight operations under the Imperial Air Group (fictional), similar to how some companies are set up in the real world. I did it in order to separate the operations and eventually (if I ever have enough $ for multiple a/c) have the aircraft separate since a medical kingair wouldn't be outfitted for carrying cargo and vice versa. As there isn't much outside interest, it's a slow go of amassing enough money to acquiring the desired aircraft by myself. I'm looking to eventually have a few helos, a kingair or 2, and a light jet.

My groups are open for any pilots interested in flying air ambulance or cargo operations in the PE area. It's more of a social aspect I suppose for those that want to simulate air ambulance operations in SOCAL.
BonanzaDude

Post by BonanzaDude »

I created Hawkeye Flight Services to acquire some larger planes and jobs in hopes of recruiting some newer pilots to make some pretty good v$$$. I can easily make v$150-200k per day flying my DC-6B around Africa and the Middle East. In all the time that I have recruited I have had a handful of jobs flown. I have my pay set to 75% which is higher than most, but that doesn't seem to matter. I don't fly in SoCal for making big V$$$'s. I do it for fun as I enjoy having almost RW ATC while making my flights. While I'm far from as good as others on twitch.tv, I also am doing that for those that might want to watch and maybe learn something about flying.

I am in the process of ferrying all 25 of my GA planes to the SoCal area in hopes of them getting some use. Look for my post in the next few days about what I'll do in regards to helping PE flyers.

John
John P. Navara
zLAARTCC & PE I-11
PP ASEL-IA - 1967 V35 N480H
Complex, HP & Tailwheel endorsements
My YouTube Videos
http://www.twitch.tv/Sim_Dude
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

BonanzaDude wrote:I created Hawkeye Flight Services to acquire some larger planes and jobs in hopes of recruiting some newer pilots to make some pretty good v$$$. I can easily make v$150-200k per day flying my DC-6B around Africa and the Middle East. In all the time that I have recruited I have had a handful of jobs flown. I have my pay set to 75% which is higher than most, but that doesn't seem to matter. I don't fly in SoCal for making big V$$$'s. I do it for fun as I enjoy having almost RW ATC while making my flights. While I'm far from as good as others on twitch.tv, I also am doing that for those that might want to watch and maybe learn something about flying.

I am in the process of ferrying all 25 of my GA planes to the SoCal area in hopes of them getting some use. Look for my post in the next few days about what I'll do in regards to helping PE flyers.

John
By the way, the only reason I haven't flown with you on my "out of SoCal" excursions is I don't have a DC-6B model. I have FSX/P3D/X-Plane installed, so I generally can pick almost anything freeware. If I'm buying a plane, I stick with A2A for FSX/P3D and the Carenado stuff for FSX.

The deHavillind Dash 7 FSX model that I've flown recently is the freeware Milton Shupe version, reworked by some folks and posted on all of the download sites. It's a weird duck to fly for sure.

Right now, I have:

Cessna 172
Cessna 182
Piper Cherokee 180
Beechcraft Baron 58

I'm saving up for a KingAir next. I'll end up parking them all at 46CA and creating a webpage that has suggested routes. Maybe that will help build a rental fleet foundation.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge