if you hold a job...

FSE and PE make for a powerful combination
wmburns

Re: if you hold a job...

Post by wmburns »

Keith Smith wrote:For example, 52AZ has 4 gates, they're all pointed at 46CA. When the gates are full, there will be 12 pax going to/from 52AZ to 46CA. Someone comes along and adds them all to their queue with the intention of flying those jobs 3 days from now. I can 100% promise you that the system will not generate any more green jobs to/from the 52AZ/46CA city pair, as it already has 12 pax in the system (they're in somebody's queue).
<brick hits head>OK it's becoming more clear.

This explains a number of things that I have noted flying on FSE. For example. Over the long Memorial Day weekend, I attempted to go to the Avi Suquilla (P20) hub and fly every job in my Barron. I found that almost as soon as a flight was done, more jobs appeared. Just like cockroaches.
Keith Smith wrote:The hard and fast rule is that a gate will only generate 3 pax at any given time.
This also explains why it's harder to fill the larger planes as multiple gates are needed to generate more than 3 PAX going to any one destination. FSE really does favor the smaller airplane.
Keith Smith wrote:Last thought, "hoarding" is a relative term. I have no idea what's considered practical versus excessive in terms of how long you keep jobs in a queue. It could be hours, or days depending on your perspective. My only reason for making the post is that I suspected people were not aware of what impact it has. ie, they were keeping the jobs in their queue, not knowing what impact it would have on the ability of the airport to generate replacement jobs for others to fly.

What people DO with the information is beyond my control. The intention wasn't to say, "you must fly the jobs within xx hours." It was simply to raise awareness for a topic which probably wasn't well understood.
Obviously the gate behavior wasn't well understood from my perspective. I would not have thought anything of adding jobs to my queue and holding for a 3-7 days until ready to fly. So in that regards the information is useful to change my behavior.

Thanks and sorry to be such a PIA.
cruster

Post by cruster »

wmburns wrote: This also explains why it's harder to fill the larger planes as multiple gates are needed to generate more than 3 PAX going to any one destination. FSE really does favor the smaller airplane.
One of the things that is confusing in this thread, at least for me, is the use of "3 PAX" as an absolute limit. Each gate can create a maximum of three pax jobs. Each pax job can have a variable number of passengers, determined by the FBO owner. For instance, my FBOs are set to not accept parties of more than seven pax. Theoretically, my single-gate FBOs could generate a total of 21 pax (3 pax jobs x max. 7 pax = 21 pax). I chose seven as the limit out of habit; it is the max pax a BK17 can carry and my former FBO network was highly optimized for that airframe, although this one is not (distances are too far) and I'm not using the BK17 so I should probably adjust it.

The only way the FBOs referenced in this thread, assuming they're one-lot airstrips, generate only "3 PAX" at a time is if the limit is set to one (3 pax jobs x max. 1 pax = 3 pax). If the goal is to have FBOs generate enough pax to fill larger planes, the cap has to be raised higher than one. Even then, however, the actual number of pax generated per job "roll" is randomized between 0 and the limit the FBO owner sets (inclusive of the limits). A one pax limit yields the highest per-pax revenue for a given distance, with the marginal value of each additional pax generated within a given job being reduced by some amount. Deciding where the limit needs to be set to maximize income for a given FBO pair (or worse, a hub/spoke network) is a three-body problem as far as I'm concerned. More art than science.

That's my understanding of the mechanics, anyway, and I could be (likely am?) wrong.

Interesting aside: at one time, the system could be gamed by renting gates at an FBO to yourself (or, rather, a second group you happen to own). It increased your odds of getting a job generated, because of the logic used at the time. I believe they closed that loophole a couple of years ago, though.
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

One of the things that is confusing in this thread, at least for me, is the use of "3 PAX" as an absolute limit. Each gate can create a maximum of three pax jobs. Each pax job can have a variable number of passengers, determined by the FBO owner. For instance, my FBOs are set to not accept parties of more than seven pax. Theoretically, my single-gate FBOs could generate a total of 21 pax (3 pax jobs x max. 7 pax = 21 pax). I chose seven as the limit out of habit; it is the max pax a BK17 can carry and my former FBO network was highly optimized for that airframe, although this one is not (distances are too far) and I'm not using the BK17 so I should probably adjust it.

The only way the FBOs referenced in this thread, assuming they're one-lot airstrips, generate only "3 PAX" at a time is if the limit is set to one (3 pax jobs x max. 1 pax = 3 pax). If the goal is to have FBOs generate enough pax to fill larger planes, the cap has to be raised higher than one. Even then, however, the actual number of pax generated per job "roll" is randomized between 0 and the limit the FBO owner sets (inclusive of the limits). A one pax limit yields the highest per-pax revenue for a given distance, with the marginal value of each additional pax generated within a given job being reduced by some amount. Deciding where the limit needs to be set to maximize income for a given FBO pair (or worse, a hub/spoke network) is a three-body problem as far as I'm concerned. More art than science.

That's my understanding of the mechanics, anyway, and I could be (likely am?) wrong.
This is wrong. 1 gate = 3 pax NOT 3 jobs.

Here is the reference from the FSE manual:
How does it work? A PT will generate assignments based on a number of different criteria that you will select. However, there are some basic requirements that are the same for everyone. Each FBO can have a maximum number of "Gates" depending on the size of the FBO (see below for further details). Each gate can support a maximum of 3 pax. If you have 1 gate, you can get a single 3-pax assignment, or you might get three individual 1-pax assignments. If you have 9 gates, you might get a single 27-pax assignment, or you might get 9 different 3-pax assignments, or anywhere in between.
A single gate FBO will make 3 pax. Note that the number of lots an FBO has and the number of gates are different. For example I have a 1 lot FBO at L35 but it has 2 gates.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
cruster

Post by cruster »

Peter Grey wrote: This is wrong. 1 gate = 3 pax NOT 3 jobs.

Here is the reference from the FSE manual:
How does it work? A PT will generate assignments based on a number of different criteria that you will select. However, there are some basic requirements that are the same for everyone. Each FBO can have a maximum number of "Gates" depending on the size of the FBO (see below for further details). Each gate can support a maximum of 3 pax. If you have 1 gate, you can get a single 3-pax assignment, or you might get three individual 1-pax assignments. If you have 9 gates, you might get a single 27-pax assignment, or you might get 9 different 3-pax assignments, or anywhere in between.
A single gate FBO will make 3 pax. Note that the number of lots an FBO has and the number of gates are different. For example I have a 1 lot FBO at L35 but it has 2 gates.
Interesting. I appreciate the correction and the text from the manual. Obviously I am (as stated) wrong.

Still, my single-lot FBO at 66CA has three jobs sitting there totaling seven pax (4+2+1). On the FBO Facilities page it says "3" under the Pax Jobs column, and the column next to that (labeled Size) shows "1 Gates (0 rented)". Per the manual text you pasted, I should have no more than three passengers total. And yet I do. Odd.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that 66CA is pointed at both CA97 and KBTY. KBTY has four gates, and I know the jobs can generate from either end of the route. So, perhaps that 4 pax job is really a KBTY job that departs 66CA. I've been doing gates wrong all these years. Hmm.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

It matters not where 66CA is pointing. It can't generate more than 3 pax if it's got a single gate.

The extra jobs you're seeing at 66CA are a result of another airport (probably BTY) pointing at 66CA.

If you'd like to see an extreme example, look at 46CA. It's capable of generating exactly 3 pax. As you can see there's a lot more there. That's because the other airports are pointing at 46CA.

Per the previous posts, when a gate generates a job, it can generate it TO or FROM the given airport.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Just popping in to say this is fascinating. I've always been a little confused about the logic around this. Knowing that templates are applied to areas makes sense to what I see in Yemen and the Middle East. There are stacks of larger jobs there, likely because of the template and airport density. The FBOs still have jobs like we see here and as everyone described.

Thanks for so many detailed responses. I'm learning a lot while reading this from the back of the room.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

In case anyone might have misinterpreted this thread, it wasn't my intention to dissuade people from using the system normally (ie, holding jobs for a few hours then conducting a flight). I simply wanted to let people know how the system worked in case they weren't aware.
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

At the total risk of beating on a dead horse..........

With regards to how new green jobs are generated, IF a job remains on the public queue and no one picks it up, how does this scenario change the gate generation logic?

Does the gate generate the maximum of 3 PAX and then stop until:
  • the job expires
  • the job is completed
<ducks and covers head>
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

At the total risk of beating on a dead horse..........

With regards to how new green jobs are generated, IF a job remains on the public queue and no one picks it up, how does this scenario change the gate generation logic?

Does the gate generate the maximum of 3 PAX and then stop until:
the job expires
the job is completed
Yes. If a gate has generated 3 PAX then no new jobs will be created until 1 of those 2 things happen to a job.

Once a "pax slot" has opened up a new job will be generated at some point (time between the slot opening up and a job filling it is effectively random).
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Peter Grey wrote: Yes. If a gate has generated 3 PAX then no new jobs will be created until 1 of those 2 things happen to a job.

Once a "pax slot" has opened up a new job will be generated at some point (time between the slot opening up and a job filling it is effectively random).
<looks at ground. Shuffles feet>So does that mean that moving a job to an individual's holding queue doesn't have any affect (positive or negative) regarding that gate's ability to generate NEW jobs? Since only expiration or completion can cause NEW jobs to be created.

So technically the only "harm" that holding jobs causes the system is that it "locks/hides" those jobs from possibly being flown by others. Which again only matters if there are other people willing/able to fly the jobs AND there aren't other jobs available.

I think we can all agree that wholesale "job hording" is bad for the system.

I think we can agree that holding single slot supply jobs can be bad for the system especially if held for a long period of time.
Keith Smith wrote:In case anyone might have misinterpreted this thread, it wasn't my intention to dissuade people from using the system normally (ie, holding jobs for a few hours then conducting a flight). I simply wanted to let people know how the system worked in case they weren't aware.
It seems to me that this is all about being good "stewards" of the resources. That creating a flight and then holding the jobs for a reasonable period of time doesn't "harm" the system.

Maybe an old Army saying applies here:

"Take all you want but eat all you take"
<puts down horse beating stick. Arms tired>