Orbx SoCal - 46CA loved

FSE and PE make for a powerful combination
stevekirks

Re: Orbx SoCal - 46CA loved

Post by stevekirks »

Rick Stratman wrote:Steve - I had the same one over clocked, and when I went to a i5 things really got faster, but now with the newer Orbrx I am starting to prep my wife for a newer computer :)

I see Micro Center has 18 months no interest so I may do this after Xmas bills settle down. :)

As I would like to try to slide a 4K 32 monitor into the mix :)
The newer processor and it's corresponding chipset is likely the biggest source of a boost in FSX. I saw only marginal increases in X-Plane which made much better use of resources. I'm still floored that my PMDG 777 can make the KLAS to KLGB run in FSX with FTX Global/Vector/SoCal enabled and still pull 25-30FPS on the same video card. That GT640 was a great purchase--less than $100 at the time, low power draw and still pretty speedy.

At some point, I'll flip to the 700 series GTX cards on the cheap, angling for large VRAM in exchange for the sacrifice in rendering power. I'm going to use the older machine to start working on some scenery or video encoding. At the least, I'm going to run Active Sky Next (running the trail and loving it) plus the PE client and other apps.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge