FSE Newbie. Should I be flying to disused airfields?

FSE and PE make for a powerful combination
Dean33

FSE Newbie. Should I be flying to disused airfields?

Post by Dean33 »

I've spent the weekend amassing my first $12,000 dollars and am hooked on FSE!

I intend staying within the Pilotedge coverage area (naturally) but am finding many flights available seem to be to disused or abandoned airfields e.g 43CA. This one doesn't even appear on Skyvector.

I understand the FSE database is based on FSX 2004 airfields?

Can I have some advice on whether experienced Pilotedge FSE pilots go to these places?

And - the obvious question - will our controllers recognise the locations if I fly on the Pilotedge network?

I note the excellent myflightroute database too.

Thanks

Dean
Dean33

UK P3DV4 Simmer
Pilotedge - I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (average 3.4mhz). GTX 1070 8mb, 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.
wmburns

Re: FSE Newbie. Should I be flying to disused airfields?

Post by wmburns »

I personally don't like FSE flights where it's difficult to locate the airfield on Skyvector. But hands down the most difficult case is the airfield that is the FS 2004 database but NOT in X-plane. To me it just ruins it landing at a GPS location and hitting "end flight".

But if think about it, the disused airfield will be handled ATC wise as an un-towered airfield. So other than maybe having difficulty finding the CTAF frequency, radio exchanges with ATC while in the pattern won't be happening anyway.

Bottom line, it's a personal choice. But I have learned the hard way the wisdom of always making sure there's fuel available at the destination. Or be aware of the lack of fuel before leaving.

Congrats on the FSE haul. Be sure to say hello to your Wife/GF every few days......

Shameless plug follows. I have two aircraft I would like to put to more work. If interested in flying any of the aircraft below I'm willing to re-assign the home field to a location of your choosing.

N112WA Cessna 172 Skyhawk KHMT KRNT
N740L Cessna 206 Stationair KCNO KONT
ridikamus

Re: FSE Newbie. Should I be flying to disused airfields?

Post by ridikamus »

This website adds in the airports that are in FSE but not in X-Plane. It can also add prefab scenery to airports that don't have any. Wonderful package.

http://www.4xplane.nl/fse-runways/
V-3 CAT-11 I-11