COM1 radio disabled

FSE and PE make for a powerful combination
arb65912

COM1 radio disabled

Post by arb65912 »

I have noticed that Piper Cherokee 180 has COM and NAV radios disabled. I assume that I can not fly use this plane if I need to contact any ATC, actually I can not even use CTAF.
Please, shed some light onto that subject.

Another question is can I "cheat" withing the aircraft of similar type , for example use my Piper Cherokee 140 which has COM/NAV operative of course and let FSE "know" that I am flying Warrior which has both radios operative in FSE.
I understand that I would use the alias plugin to do that, correct?

Thank for any help on the above. Cheers, AJ
jdzurisin

Re: COM1 radio disabled

Post by jdzurisin »

Hey AJ,

Looks like that particular 180 doesn't have a radio package installed. If you own it, you can install one for X dollars (I forget at the moment). If not, I say choose another airplane (meaning another 180 if you want) that is IFR cert'd.

Here is a little snippet from the manual that speaks to it. The last section applies to the PE client as well but is a bit of a pain (e.g. .com1 122.90 etc).

If this is clear as mud, let me know and I will try to give it another go.

Avionics Equipment

FSE "fails" the avionics equipment in your flight simulator program if the FSE aircraft you're using does not contain the respective avionics equipment. Larger aircraft usually come equipped with a full suite of avionics; however, smaller aircraft usually start out as "VFR-only" equipped, meaning they have none of the three below-mentioned avionics suites. You can purchase these three different avionics upgrades at any FBO with a repair shop:

IFR. An IFR avionics upgrade includes navigation and communication radio equipment. Due to the way MSFS failures are programmed, FSE cannot disable comm and nav radio equipment individually, so non-IFR equipped aircraft have neither comm nor nav radio functionality. Purchasing an IFR avionics upgrade will allow you to use your comm and nav radios

Autopilot. Purchasing an Autopilot avionics upgrade will allow you to use your autopilot functionality within the simulator.

GPS. Due to the way GPS failures are programmed within MSFS, FSE cannot completely fail your GPS equipment. However, an FSE aircraft without GPS equipment cannot link the GPS with the autopilot. Purchasing a GPS avionics upgrade will allow you to link your GPS to your autopilot. FSE planes without a GPS still have GPS functionality, but it's only the "hand-held" GPS device that most pilots carry with them nowadays.

Note to VATSIM users: If your plane does not have an IFR avionics package, you cannot tune your comm radios "normally". You can still communicate with VATSIM controllers using the "dot" commands. Please refer to VATSIM user guides on tuning your radios with the "dot" commands.
arb65912

Re: COM1 radio disabled

Post by arb65912 »

Hi jdzurisin, yes it does make sense, I did not read the manual completely. Thank you. Cheers, AJ