ATC audio being recorded

Interesting ATC clips and situations from PilotEdge
Keith Smith

ATC audio being recorded

Post by Keith Smith »

As a precursor to offering streaming audio on our web site, I have implemented audio recording of the most frequently staffed ATC positions on the network (the combined tower and combined app/ctr positions). This will be for quality assurance, controller/pilot training and also for promotional purposes.

If pilots have questions about specific ATC interactions that have taken place, we can 'pull the tapes' to find out what happened.
Mueller

Re: ATC audio being recorded

Post by Mueller »

Hi Keith
and where and when can I hear the streaming audio of ATC on your web site. I didn't find it yet.
Thanks
Hans M.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

"As a precursor to offering streaming audio on our web site...." :)
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Is a 'precursor' that little shadow thing under your regular cursor?
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Here are the recordings from yesterday (Jan 3), just as an example:
del/gnd/twr (40MB Ogg Vorbis file)
app/ctr (32MB Ogg Vorbis file)

Note: this is the entire day's worth with silences removed. The filesize is about double what it should be due to a mistake in the transcoding process. They will be mono files in the future and half the length. Also note, this is a full day...the new interface will have hourly recordings to choose from.

Edit: the ctr controller at the start of the recording will be obtaining new audio hardware by tomorrow. We're aware that people have had trouble hearing some controllers and will be working to resolve these issues asap.
Mueller

Post by Mueller »

Keith Smith wrote:"As a precursor to offering streaming audio on our web site...." :)
"precursor" - fine! A new word for my English vocabulary! Thanks for teaching me English.
TexFly

Post by TexFly »

Keith,

I'm glad to read that you are working on the audio issues. Sometime is really hard to hear ATC...Thanks!
Alex (N705AT)
Check out my sim: http://www.createandsolve.com
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Jan 4 app/center (31MB mp3)
Jan 4 del/gnd/twr (20MB mp3)

Known points of interest:
- 7:20 (app/ctr) Skyhawk 06U wisely picks up flight following while transitioning the Bakersfield and Isabella MOA's on the way to Kern Valley (L05).

- 12:20 (app/ctr): Mooney attempts to receive tower service at KNSI on the Pt Mugu app freq (presumably after having tried the tower freq). Military fields are uncontrolled on PE, hence the lack of response on the tower freq.

- 26:09 (app/ctr): N733AM checks in with ctr (after N705AT checks in on another frequency). Ctr responds to 705AT first, 733AM assumes it's for him. Shortly after, immediately after CTR finishes a transmission, 3AM begins a transmission regarding a navigation question...CTR begins a transmission to 705AT at about the same time...neither party hears each other. CTR's transmission is longer, though, so 3AM catches the tail end of that transmission, which is "resume own navigation." He assumes the controller heard his navigation question and assumes that call is for him. He reads back the 'resume own nav' instruction. Having heard only a partial transmission with no callsign, he should've assumed there was a block and asked for the whole transmission again. A controller will never issue a control instruction without a callsign. In this case, there was a large chunk of information before the 'resume own nav' that the pilot never heard.

Even though the two voices are clear on the recording, it's important to remember that pilots can't hear ANYTHING else while they have the PTT held down (just like real life). So, while we hear the overlapping transmissions in the recording, they don't.

- 54:12 N2770V unable to pick up a radial due to a navigation reception issue. He wisely asks for assistance from ATC. This is excellent use of ATC resources and shows a high level of situational awareness.

If anyone else listens through these and finds anything noteworthy, feel free to comment.

Edit: I had an open mic briefly at the start of the ctr recording, so you hear some keystrokes for a few seconds before the actual recording begins.

Edit: We were below our normal staffing level for a while today, so the ctr position was covering del/gnd/twr, which is why you hear the BUR gnd/twr interactions on the ctr recording around the 30min mark.
NM Doug

Post by NM Doug »

This is great, Keith!

Of course, the net result of cutting out the silence is that my 172 effectively goes about mach 2 ;)

- Doug