[real world] triple diversion, single pilot IFR

Interesting ATC clips and situations from PilotEdge
Keith Smith

[real world] triple diversion, single pilot IFR

Post by Keith Smith »

I was debating whether to post this here since this is largely for PE related recordings. Based on feedback from a number of people in the training community, and in light of the fact that PE is so highly focused on pilot training, I've elected to relay the story and recording here, too.

Last Thursday, I took this trip from Russel County, KY (K24) up to Lincoln Park, NJ (N07). (note: the flight track on flightaware is strangely incomplete and has been truncated. It only shows the first approach and none of the vectoring that followed).

The forecast for the arrival was 1000 few and 2000 overcast, no biggie. I planned CDW as an alternate. The departure went well, save for a bit of weaving to get around some buildups.

Upon arrival, the weather was 400 and 1'ish, which was not what was in the brochure! I shot the LOC RWY 22 into CDW (mins are 357' AGL), but the weather was updated to 200 and 1/4 just as I was inside the FAF (I kid you not).

Morristown (MMU) was calling 200-1 so I opted to go there. The ILS was out of service, though, so the controller assigned the RNAV (GPS) Z RWY 23 approach. That plan didn't last long (I don't have WAAS and knew without looking that the LNAV MDA was going to be well above 200' AGL).

So, off to Teterboro I went.

Here's the MP3 recording of the ATC interactions from http://www.liveatc.net.

I was pretty much at capacity being SPIFR, in the soup, at night, without a trustworthy autopilot. When I say "in the soup", not only were the strobes off, but the position lights and landing light were bright enough to cause a distraction (that's a first for me). During the diversion to TEB, I'm trying to get the ATIS and am getting nowhere fast (much like I was during the arrival to CDW, except I had a bit more time there) because the radio is so busy. There's an interesting exchange about that in the recording.

I'm still trying to pull the plate in Foreflight when I get put onto a 130hdg for the ILS 19. I know the app clearance has to be coming soon, so I tell the controller I'm not ready and I get sent out west until I'm ready.

It's an interesting recording, and comments are welcome. There's not much I would do differently, other than be more proficient at pulling plates to unexpected fields in a pinch (I had pre-loaded N07 and CDW approach plates, but nothing beyond that). Ideally, I would also have requested the delay vector at TEB sooner than I did.

KTEB 270151Z 00000KT 3SM BR OVC006 13/11 A2960
KTEB 270251Z 23005KT 3SM BR OVC004 13/11 A2959

I landed somewhere in between those two. The 3 mile report was generous...that mist really does a number on you.

Edit: in hindsight, another thing that added to the workload was my inefficient panel configuration (can't use the HSI in the 6-pack for ILS/LOC/VOR approaches, it's talking to a Garmin 420 which is a GPS/COM. I have to use the NAV2 CDI WAY on the left side of the panel). The HSI precesses at close to the legal limit, so it needs to be sync'd with the compass quite frequently. That, and with a 30kt crosswind shearing to calm at the surface, the heading I'd needed to fly on the ILS changes constantly in any case. As a result, I use the TRK figure on the Garmin 420 to see what my effective course is, and compare that (numerically) to the DTK on the approach. Processing numbers is more work than processing pictures, that's for sure. I need to get a Garmin 430 instead of the 420, and I need to overhaul the HSI.

That, and this is the first time I've run into a case where WAAS would've gotten me out of a pickle. I would've had a shot at getting into MMU.
Orest Skrypuch

Re: [real world] triple diversion, single pilot IFR

Post by Orest Skrypuch »

Thanks for posting that, it was interesting listening indeed. I think we have all been in situations where, despite our best efforts, the noose starts to tighten. Well handled.

Nice to see that ATC, busy as he was, extended a little extra help and leeway.

When you say you did not have a "trustworthy autopilot", do you mean that you have one that is not serviceable at the moment, or just that what you have is limited in function? Launching into nighttime SPIFR, even with a reasonable forecast (like the initial), without a working autopilot does indeed up the ante. Sure, I almost always hand fly the approaches, but really do appreciate George's help enroute. In particular here, needing to quickly survey weather, pull new airports, and get organized for the approach phase, it would have been very helpful, even with just a wing leveler, to keep the dirty side down.

Do you have onboard Sat weather?

As you say, a 430W would have given you more choices, especially in the US where there seems to be an LPV approach everywhere -- now outnumbering ILSes, as many as there are of those. (speaking from a poor Canadian's vantage point) But of course there is no end to the cool stuff we might add to our planes, there is always a steep price tag attached.

* Orest
PP/ASEL/IR, Piper Dakota (PA28-236) C-FCPO
President & CEO, UVA, http://www.united-virtual.com
Denny22

Post by Denny22 »

Very very good post! As a student IFR pilot I found this to be very educational and interesting and entertaining. I would have freaked :) I am not yet familiar with what the WAAS part of a 430 does that would have helped you. I have flown a few ILS approaches but only 1 RNAV GPS approach. What kind of plane were you flying where you can just jump up the cruise to 180 with no problem :).

Thanks again for posting, keep em coming!

Denny
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Keith, you are the man. You were so calm in this situation, it is just amazing how you handled things. I can not judge things here but changing the destination plans ad hoc so many times, I am clapping hand for you, you are a brave man, Keith. :)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Orest,

The autopilot alt hold is unreliable and is affected by my radio transmissions due to some sort of a shielding issue, so it's really only useful in cases where I don't anticipate doing much talking on the radio. The heading hold is decent, but with the HSI precessing as much as it does, it's not as useful as one would hope.

Denny, it's a Lancair 360. It's scoots along nicely. You can read more about it here.

Denny22

Post by Denny22 »

Very cool Keith, thanks for posting the pic. I heard ATC keep calling you 360 but I was unfamiliar.

Denny
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

You're welcome, Denny. He was referring to '360' as a result of the callsign, though, not the aircraft type. He should have technically referred to me as "Lancair zero juliet hotel" or "November zero juliet hotel" when shortening my callsign....but that was pretty far down on my list of concerns at the time, lemme tell ya :)
Steven Maddox

Post by Steven Maddox »

Awesome post! Echoing the comments above, I really admire your decision making and level head in that hectic situation. Couldn't have handled it any better!

Steve
Steven Maddox
FAA ATP ERJ-170/190, CFII
cotton

Post by cotton »

That is awesome :| . I like flying. almost always hand fly the approaches, but really do appreciate George's help enroute. In particular here, needing to quickly survey weather, pull new airports, and get organized for the approach phase, it would have been very helpful, even with just a wing leveler, to keep the dirty side down.
larryav8r

Post by larryav8r »

Keith,

I've yet to listen to the recording. I saw you were flying from K24 and had to ask if that's a regular destination for you. My folks live in Jamestown, so I fly in there a lot.

Larry
N218DF SR-20

P.S. Fantastic service you've got here. I signed up for the trial but will be joining as either a monthly or annual member. Just have to figure out which I can sell to my wife. :)
Calmer than you are.