end to end flight with holding and rwy change

Interesting ATC clips and situations from PilotEdge
Keith Smith

end to end flight with holding and rwy change

Post by Keith Smith »

http://assets.pilotedge.net/recordings/ ... BA_LAX.mp3

This was a flight that was conducted to evaluate PE's suitability for a large commercial engagement. It went really well.

Key points in the recording:
0) N525PF reads back incorrect spelling of KWANG and incorrect altitude on initial clearance, ATC catches both. However the pilot never reads back the corrected altitude, which ATC doesn't catch on the 2nd time around.

1) N175BC sees and taxis around N525PF who isn't quite ready to go short of rwy 25 (N525PF has limited visuals in the sim an is unable to taxi at all at that airport, so they start up holding short, something which is coordinated ahead of time. This results in a partial blockage of at entrance to the rwy).

2) AAL211 is given alternate taxi instructions around the north side of 25 because taxiing around N525PF won't be an option (AAL211 is a Boeing 777)

3) N525PF deviates from the SBA2 SID (should've been hdg 255 for vectors to KWANG)

4) N525PF has issues in the hold. It's worth mentioning that we're 5 for 5 on pilots having issues with holds they weren't expecting on PilotEdge. They always fly missed approach holds without a problem, because they're expecting them.

5) N525PF is issued 3 traffic pointouts for F/A-18's around Pt Mugu NAS

6) N525PF queries ATC about an aircraft he sees ahead on TCAS...also a drone.

7) N525PF is initially issued 24R at LAX, reads it back as 25R, ATC corrects him.

8) ATC changes N525PF over to south complex, 25L at LAX (this was a request from the instructor prior to the flight taking place).

Points 5 & 6 illustrate the value of the pre-recorded VFR drones adding workload to the real pilots.
Kim Ellis

Re: end to end flight with holding and rwy change

Post by Kim Ellis »

could have been one of my flights, all sounds too familiar, lol!
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

4) N525PF has issues in the hold. It's worth mentioning that we're 5 for 5 on pilots having issues with holds they weren't expecting on PilotEdge. They always fly missed approach holds without a problem, because they're expecting them.
Hmm. Sounds like a topic for an instrument workshop. Soon. For example, you told Citation N525PF to hold at KWANG "as published". As published where? I realize I should know that, but I don't.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Anthony Santanastaso

Post by Anthony Santanastaso »

Mark Hargrove wrote:
Hmm. Sounds like a topic for an instrument workshop. Soon. For example, you told Citation N525PF to hold at KWANG "as published". As published where? I realize I should know that, but I don't.

-M.
Mark, the hold was at VTU and it is published on the Low IFR Enroute Chart.
Anthony Santanastaso
PilotEdge ATCS
Private Pilot ASEL
Twitch broadcasts: Archived | Live
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Ahhhh, that definitely explains it! I see it now.

So if we were enroute from KWANG to VTU and got the hold instruction, we'd make a direct entry to the hold by continuing on to VTU, make a left turn to 311 degrees, fly outbound for 1 min, turn left to 131, direct VTU and then lather, rinse repeat until told otherwise, or until our EFC time was reached if we decided we had lost comms?
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Mark Hargrove wrote:Ahhhh, that definitely explains it! I see it now.

So if we were enroute from KWANG to VTU and got the hold instruction, we'd make a direct entry to the hold by continuing on to VTU, make a left turn to 311 degrees, fly outbound for 1 min, turn left to 131, direct VTU and then lather, rinse repeat until told otherwise, or until our EFC time was reached if we decided we had lost comms?
Yes indeed.