calling a bit early

Interesting ATC clips and situations from PilotEdge
Keith Smith

calling a bit early

Post by Keith Smith »

having some fun with auz081 who called for takeoff with another third of a mile of taxiing to do.

http://assets.pilotedge.net/recordings/ ... akeoff.mp3
Steven Winslow

Re: calling a bit early

Post by Steven Winslow »

Classic! Brilliantly played, Keith. Thanks for the chuckles this morning.
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
Kim Ellis

Post by Kim Ellis »

Now to be fair Uncle Keith, I didn't actually "call for takeoff with another third of a mile of taxiing to do", but rather "called to advise that I was approaching the Bravo holding point for runway 25R with another third of a mile of taxiing to do". A mute point I know, but. And ... but wait there is more, it was actually you who taught me to call from two taxiways before the holding point because that was where you thought the 'call tower' advisory signage was.
BTW, try and do a climbout and cleanup in a heavy when tears are rolling down your face from laughter.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

ZING! Actually, what I hope I said is that there are typically "MONITOR tower" signs at that point in the real world, not contact tower.

And yes, it was a great time had by all :)
Kim Ellis

Post by Kim Ellis »

I am sure you are right and you said "monitor".
You wouldn't believe the number of emails I have received from people saying how much they laughed when they listened to the audio :)
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

The "I'm surprised you didn't call from a cab on your way to the airport" line is going down in my book as an all-time classic.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Kim Ellis

Post by Kim Ellis »

I agree there Mark. I have it printed and hanging above the primary monitor. It brings a smile to my face every morning. The master certainly has a way with words :)
Steven Winslow

Post by Steven Winslow »

Please don't take offense, Kim, but adding to the humor of the situation is that your demeanor and voice bear a striking similarity to that of Foster Brooks from back in the day. Those of us old enough to remember will know exactly what I'm talking about. "But sir, why should we hold the plane for you?" "Because I'm the pilot!"
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
Vincent Meier

Post by Vincent Meier »

Steven Winslow wrote:Please don't take offense, Kim, but adding to the humor of the situation is that your demeanor and voice bear a striking similarity to that of Foster Brooks from back in the day. Those of us old enough to remember will know exactly what I'm talking about. "But sir, why should we hold the plane for you?" "Because I'm the pilot!"
Now THAT! brought back a rush of memories...Dean Martin Roasts in particular!!
Vincent Meier

Skyhawk 172: C-FEGU
Baron 58: C-FEED
Cirrus SR22: C-FLAG
Kim Ellis

Post by Kim Ellis »

No offence Steven because I have no idea what you are talking about, and I am old. My PE demeanor and voice to a large extent have been shaped by feedback from the boys. I used to be too chatty. I think Keith used to say 'time to get a cup of coffee boys, here comes Kim with his life story', whenever I called for clearance. Now I am just that rude Aussie guy who snaps 'clearance'. I could go on, but to protect the innocent ... PE is fun as well as being very serious.