Couldn't hear my transmissions

Interesting ATC clips and situations from PilotEdge
Lorenh

Couldn't hear my transmissions

Post by Lorenh »

I listen to the audio recordings to evaluate my radio technique, but I couldn't hear my transmissions on 12/23/2013 during the 9am and 10am (PST) recordings. The controllers seemed to hear me ok. Could my audio have been so weak that it was seen as dead air and skipped over by the system that generates the archives? My flight was from F70 to KSMX, and my call sign was 63279.

This is the first time it has happened. Just want to make sure I'm not doing something on my end to cause it.
Loren Hutchinson
Lee's Summit, MO (KLXT)
Private SEL IFR
N4336D
currentadventure

Re: Couldn't hear my transmissions

Post by currentadventure »

I have no idea if there is any relation to your issue, but the previous day flying from L22 - KSMX, I lost all comms while in flight. I was still connected to the network, but I could not hear the controllers and they couldn't hear me either. This is the first time I have had anything like this happen.

The only other issues I have noticed lately is that I get disconnected while in flight. Last night I flew from KSMX to KRAL and got disconnected at least 3 times while en route.
Brent Stanley
Wilmington, NC (KILM)
Inshore Charter Guide
Private Pilot, ASEL
http://www.currentadventurecharters.com
My PE callsign-N134WD
Lorenh

Post by Lorenh »

Sounds like a separate issue. My flight was totally normal. I didn't know there was anything different until I listened to the audio archives.
Loren Hutchinson
Lee's Summit, MO (KLXT)
Private SEL IFR
N4336D
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I noticed that too. This is a first, as far as I know. I believe it's related to the fact that when some clients connect on low bandwidth connections, their voice ID is misreported to our system. Our voice system uses these ID's to manipulate lists of which pilots are able to hear other pilots. If clients have misreported their ID's, it can lead to the wrong parties being muted. It would take several paragraphs to go into the next level detail. I've restarted the voice recorders, and since the voice server has been up and running for quite some time, their voice ID's for the recorders will be quite high and are not likely to be mistaken for misreporting clients.

I don't expect this to happen again any time soon.
Lorenh

Post by Lorenh »

Thanks Keith, I'll post here if it happens again.
Loren Hutchinson
Lee's Summit, MO (KLXT)
Private SEL IFR
N4336D