56PA today

Interesting ATC clips and situations from PilotEdge
golfpilot

56PA today

Post by golfpilot »

56PA, I don't know who the controller was but I got turned to Julian and given 6000. 14:39 on the tape. I was curious as to whether I missed the 9000 or not. Had to look it up. I should have asked earlier as that would not be fun in real world and they do make those mistakes!
Also, I'm starting to use xplane. Having problems with the transponder resetting on me...maybe it'll be fixed when its no longer a beta

Just filling you in just in case you were as curious as I was. Save you the time of going through the tape.

Is there anywhere to get the full tape with silence? would make finding calls a whole lot faster and easier.

Thank you
Andrew
Andrew Roberts
Real World Private Pilot w/instrument
Walnut Creek, CA
PE callsign: N56PA
Marcus Becker

Re: 56PA today

Post by Marcus Becker »

14:39 on which tape? All of the recordings are separated by the hour and the controller if there are multiple.

EDIT: Found it on the ZLA Radar 1000 tape. It sounds like the controller may have either misspoke or forgot that he had you at 6000' assigned. Sounds like his frequency was busy so he likely forgot and overlooked his requirement.
golfpilot

Post by golfpilot »

I believe it was ZLA. I was given direct Julian 6000. Once I cleared the San Diego Class B area I started to wonder but never spoke up. I should have.
Andrew Roberts
Real World Private Pilot w/instrument
Walnut Creek, CA
PE callsign: N56PA
jx_

Post by jx_ »

Hey golfpilot, that was me. It was just as I explained on the frequency. I thought I said it but I didn't.

I intended to say:

"Radar contact, turn right heading 360 climb & maintain 6000" - then - "cleared direct JLI, climb & maintain 9000""

but for whatever reason I didn't actually say the altitude portion of that second instruction. Not sure why. Every time I checked on you I was under the impression I did and you were still climbing. Good job asking the question. That saved us both a potential headache.

It's good practice to say "higher for 56PA?" if you level off below your cruise altitude for a few minutes. Unless there's a specific reason, we want to climb you as high as we can, as soon as we can.