PilotEdge ATIS released

Interesting ATC clips and situations from PilotEdge

PilotEdge ATIS released

Postby Keith Smith » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:51 pm

We’re extremely excited to announce the launch of a long-requested feature: PilotEdge now offers fully integrated ATIS broadcasts for supported towered airports. Pilots can receive up to date weather and critical flight planning information on published ATIS frequencies via the radio, including the runways & approaches in use and information on runway closures.

Just like the real world, controllers also have ready access to this information and will verify that pilots are reporting in with the correct ATIS code.

As part of this launch, we’re also making it easier to fly with custom weather (that is, weather settings that aren’t current real world conditions). Pilots can now report in with information ZULU as a way to inform controllers that they are using custom weather. Pilots can also make use of a new ‘custom weather’ checkbox on the web-based flight plan filing form.

More detailed information about the PilotEdge ATIS system can be found here: https://pilotedge.net/pages/atis-background.

Note: X-Plane versions prior to 11.30 should upgrade to PilotEdge v1.5.2 which allows us to suppress the in-game ATIS.
Keith Smith

Re: PilotEdge ATIS released

Postby larrythek » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:11 am

Trying to use ATIS info with FSX, Cessna 172 with G1000.
When selecting ATIS I receive simultaneous phoney ATIS info from FSX along with ATIS from Pilot Edge.
Impossible to hear Pilot Edge ATIS info while superimposed on FSX ATIS.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Larry
larrythek

Postby larrythek » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:18 am

Ignore previous message...found your instructions
larrythek

Postby flyingdrill » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:10 pm

Hi
It was so easy to file from within the client on my Mac in X-Plane. Now, I have to open a browser, go to the correct page and log in. Then file and go back. OK, it perhaps mirrors real life filing, but it was SOOOOO convenient not having to bother with this. Also, a last minute plane change could be made and filed so quickly, whereas I would have to go back to the browser and re-file....... It only needed a tick box added for custom weather, or nothing - as you say "Zulu" anyway, or you could put it in remarks. Just saying........ ;)
flyingdrill

Postby Keith Smith » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:16 pm

Mirroring this from the Discord post I made on Saturday evening:
Since it's likely to come up pretty quickly as a question for those who upgrade to the new plugin, you may notice that the ability to file flight plans from the XP client has been removed. In the interests of our own sanity and spending precious development time wisely, we're going to centralize flight plan filing on the web-based form. This already has more functionality and features than the in-client forms and the gap would have widened more with upcoming work we're doing, so this is the right time to make the change.
The custom weather option in the web-based filing form now has the effect of suppressing the PE ATIS so that you are able to receive the in-game ATIS where appropriate.

Keep a shortcut on your desktop to the filing form, and use the option to remain logged in to the site.

In the use case you described above, just advise the controller of the new ICAO code. No biggie.
Keith Smith

Postby flyingdrill » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:53 pm

I expected the shortcut suggestion :D

As for the ICAO code alteration - well, that's fair enough.

Thanks, Keith.
flyingdrill

Postby Jeff Turner » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Congrats KS and team! That's AWESOME!
Jeff Turner
Station Manager
Sky Blue Radio
www.skyblueradio.com
Jeff Turner

Postby John_Cawley » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:56 pm

The impact of this ATIS upgrade may be understated a bit. Often pilots would generically say "have weather" and be done with it because pilots & ATC had to pretend they had a common weather code. Now the real world requirement applies but still allows for training in custom weather with the Zulu code, a nice touch. Also, hearing the actual ATIS connects you to that airport in a real way. "I'm hearing the actual ATIS broadcast at that airport"--seeps unconsciously into the experience. When you're busy, and in the flow state, that's powerful. The ATIS enhancement also dovetails nicely with the range improvements to VHF modulation.

I'm glad to see PE isn't resting on their laurels.
John_Cawley

Postby Bob Denny » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:42 am

I am also thrilled with the PE ATIS. This is great!!

I have a suggestion for X-Plane users at least. Is there a way to use the weather coming from PE (METAR?) to feed the weather in X-Plane itself? I understand the issues of "Where are you? What should the weather be when you're not within 5 miles of suchandsuch airport?" but I think there's a way to prevent sudden dramatic weather changes while flying from one place to the next. Other weather add-ons seem to be able to do it. As a helicopter pilot (and this would apply to light aircraft as well) it's kind of a pain to have to open the XP weather input window and match the ATIS to the data there, wind and altimeter always being important. If you're doing instrument work, it really interrupts your flow to match the sim weather to the ATIS for wind and altimeter but now for cloud layers too and they are slow to enter.

I assume that your ATIS being different from XP's default ATIS that you are getting info from some different place (or better place or ???). Right now XP's default "real world weather" is broken so I can't tell if it would already match. I apologize if it would and the above is not needed.

Just a thought.
Bob Denny

Postby FDXDave » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:51 am

So yesterday I flew into KSEA. The controller advised North Ops. However ATIS had South ops. The controller stated, he could not change it manually. or something to that fact. It was busy, so maybe he didn't have time to change it? I don't remember exactly what he said. He said a lot very quickly about it. Something about how the ATIS is still automatic... So is this a bug with just Seattle, or are you still adjusting the ability to change active runways on the fly? Just curious.

Dave.
FDXDave

Next

Return to ATC Recordings