Interpret Airnav remarks in touch with ATC

Interesting ATC clips and situations from PilotEdge
sqvision

Interpret Airnav remarks in touch with ATC

Post by sqvision »

Hi all,

First of all, in no way I'm a professional. Just a crazy European who is a longtime Flightsim enthousiast trying to professionalize his hobby more and more. I love the way thing ares regulated and handled in the US more than in Europe, especially the RT. And that's why I love Pilotedge so much. But we keep learning and learning. And in that process this issue came up tonight and I really would like to do better where I can so that's why I post this:

http://audio.pilotedge.net/2019/7/2019- ... _17510.mp3
Skip to 19:25

The remarks on Airnav (the website I use as my reference, just prefer it over Skyvector) clearly state: "IFR JETS & TURBOPROPS CTC GND PRIOR TO ENG START." So as I was flying a PC12 turoprop I contacted Ground to request the engine start. I am fully aware that this is not a normal procedure but as it was specifically remarked I thought it was the right thing to do. But the remark could also be read in the meaning that you just have to be in contact with the ground controller. As there is no Cleareance Delivery frequency at SMO that was already the case after receiving my IFR clearance. What is meant with this remark and how is that handled on Pilotedge? The controller suggested that this was not simulated on Pilotedge but how do I know what is and what is not simulated? Any help would be appreciated. Just to do better next time. Keep learning.

Gabor
Kevin_atc

Re: Interpret Airnav remarks in touch with ATC

Post by Kevin_atc »

This is not simulated on PilotEdge only because of how local of a procedure it is. However, I don’t blame you for asking about it as you don’t want to do something incorrectly and it can be a bit confusing to keep track of everything that is and is not simulated with PE.

The reason this is a thing in the real world is because the process to obtain an IFR release out of SMO can be quite lengthy and involves LAX Tower. In fact, in order to release an IFR aircraft off of SMO, LAX must suspend their north complex operations. Because of this, it’s not uncommon for IFR aircraft at SMO to have to wait 10-30 minutes for their IFR release. By contacting ground prior to engine start, the controller can get the release going as well as advise the pilot if a significant delay is expected so they don’t have to start up their engines for no reason.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
sqvision

Re: Interpret Airnav remarks in touch with ATC

Post by sqvision »

Clear! Thanks for the heads up.