PilotEdge V-01 pattern work Exam Archer N285DF

Pictures or videos taken while flying on PilotEdge
vhipi

PilotEdge V-01 pattern work Exam Archer N285DF

Post by vhipi »

Gday all just thought i would post a video of my V1 exam. It was great fun thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2D_f2Lu43U

:oops: :oops:
Keith Smith

Re: PilotEdge V-01 pattern work Exam Archer N285DF

Post by Keith Smith »

Thanks for posting....and breathe, there's really no need to be so nervous...truly :)

If you already know how to do pattern work, then this is a walk in the park. Once you're in the air, it's generally nothing more than receiving your option clearance a few times, then taxiing back to the ramp.

If you'll permit me, I think there's a great learning opportunity here for you and anyone else who watches the video. It's all about situational awareness.

On the first lap, you report midfield downwind and just as you let off the push to talk key, you hear the tail end of a transmission for another aircraft. What that should signify to you is that it's very likely that the controller didn't hear your whole transmission...and in fact, there's a chance he didn't hear ANY of your transmission. Remember, with VHF radios, when you transmit, the speaker is muted and you can't hear anything else that happens on the radio. This is simulated accurately on PilotEdge (except on 123.45 which is a technical support channel that is used as a full duplex chat room).

If it's the former (controller hears partial transmission) then with a standard call (like a midfield downwind), the controller might be able to put the pieces together, and respond as though he did hear the whole call. However, in this case...there was a chilling silence after he finished the other call for the other pilot. You then continued downwind and turned base. Had he actually heard you, he would've certainly given you some kind of response. So, you should interpret the lack of response (coupled with general lack of activity on the radio for a prolonged period) as an indication that your transmission wasn't received.

It's generally regarded as good practice to make sure you have your landing clearance or some kind of sequencing instruction squared away prior to turning base when operating in the pattern.

You can clearly fly the plane. Now the challenge is to fly the plane in the system, and you're off to a great start!

ATC communication is all about making sure you and the controller are on the same page regarding the plan of action. If you have reason to believe you have not been heard...then say again :)

Keep up the great work and keep the videos coming!
vhipi

Post by vhipi »

Thank you Keith for the pointers they make a lot sense and will keep them in mind next time i fly on PilotEdge.

Now on to the V2. :D :D :D
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Nicely flown. Just watched the video today.

Worth pointing out that you had technically not vacated the runway when you called. Your plane must be completely over the dotted and hold lines on the exit before you have "vacated".
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

I'm very impressed (and jealous) with your trimming skills. Nice work.
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

I love watching these. Thanks for posting and good luck with the rest of your flights. It looks like you're off to a great start.