Birthday bash videos

Pictures or videos taken while flying on PilotEdge
tshuff

Birthday bash videos

Post by tshuff »

Thought I'd share a couple flights from the bash.

Leg 1 - KLAS > KBUR
I flew a 732 slant alpha for this leg in a shared cockpit configuration along with helipilot7 on Twitch. We got vectored all over the place and never had a chance to fly a proper arrival. Very intense and awesome experience.
http://www.twitch.tv/catstrator/c/5243851

Leg 2 - KBUR > KLAS
This flight was done in an A320 slant Lima solo. I skipped most of the preflight due to the comms issues and other rather long waits. Comes in with taxi and runs through shutdown. Departure was definitely interesting and you can tell my brain was jellied at this point after the first flight. Was a different experience from Leg 1, but still pretty damn cool.
http://www.twitch.tv/catstrator/c/5243866

I know a couple other folks were streaming, hoping they cut up their videos and post them too :).

Event was a ton of fun.
Cyrus

Re: Birthday bash videos

Post by Cyrus »

Thanks for posting - I'll have to check these out soon.

At what point in *your* flight did the zombies storm the ATC facilities (and send us all NORDO)?
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Anthony Santanastaso

Post by Anthony Santanastaso »

Cyrus wrote:At what point in *your* flight did the zombies storm the ATC facilities (and send us all NORDO)?
We have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Anthony Santanastaso
PilotEdge ATCS
Private Pilot ASEL
Twitch broadcasts: Archived | Live
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

lol.
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (49.51 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Cyrus, you might be interested to know that 'going missed' isn't the default action for lost comms. You either land VFR at the nearest practicable airport, or if you're in IMC, you continue to the destination, shoot an approach and land. If you do go missed, you execute the missed and proceed to the filed alternate.

Regarding fuel, you need to carry enough fuel to make it to your destination + 45 minutes. If you have an alternate, then you have to be able to make it to destination, plus the alternate, plus 45 minutes.

Hope this helps for the future. You mentioned that you went missed because of the lost comms, then ran out of fuel on the downwind :)
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Keith Smith wrote: ....Hope this helps for the future.
Yes, it does. Thanks! Had I remembered the lost comms procedures, I might have saved two birds with one birdcage -- i.e. landed safely (since I was already on final, although not yet cleared to land) AND not run out of fuel on the go around.

As for the fuel qty, I've been so used to being a cheapskate since starting on FSEconomy these past few weeks, I guess I underestimated how much I'd need for this flight. That, and I was also booking it at wide open throttle to keep up with the traffic along V186 (where you tried to shortcut me direct to FIM).

Anyway, I'll keep the meme out there... as a testament to my previous ignorance :lol:

Looking forward to the video! Let the learnings continue.
tshuff

Post by tshuff »

Cyrus wrote:Thanks for posting - I'll have to check these out soon.

At what point in *your* flight did the zombies storm the ATC facilities (and send us all NORDO)?
We got really lucky. We ended our first flight minutes before the comms issue and my second flight, while significantly delayed, was relatively unaffected by the issue (this is, however, why I cut straight to my taxi and skipped all the preflight).