Birthday Bash 2014 Scope video

Pictures or videos taken while flying on PilotEdge
Cyrus

Re: Birthday Bash 2014 Scope video

Post by Cyrus »

Well, consider yourself officially creeped out :). Actually, I'm English myself (well... half English, half Virginian, and half Indian - but that's another story), and I haven't heard the word "pommie" in a long time. We used to make fun of you lot back in the day (then we'd bugger off and watch "Neighbors" and "Home and Away" and listen to Kylie, etc.).

Yep, sure PE is a melting pot these days. Wunderbar.
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

I watched it last night. As others have said, it's absolutely fantastic and very enlightening to see things from this perspective. Also, it's very interesting to see the ruler flying all over the place, which gives some insight into the controller's thought process.

My favorite part is towards the end of the video, when you see all these 7600 squawks popping up in the last seconds... including me... and at the very end, when I'm about to ditch down just west of VNY, as my engines cut out due to... ahemmmm... empty fuel tanks(!) :roll: ... descending rapidly through 2k..... I panicked, pulled up too hard (rather than let her glide), stalled, and went down like a brick on Jupiter (and then to add insult to injury, St. Peter denied me entry into heaven, stating that it would be a more suitable punishment to send me back to earth and live with the shame of attemping a go-around when on final in VFR conditions with a NORDO situation... rather than simply landing).

Keith, I was going share my hilarious attempt at trying to recovery from the nose dive after running out of fuel... but I just noticed that the "Horizontal Profile" portion of any past flight is no longer showing up. Is something up with PEAware or has this feature been removed?
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi Cyrus, the horizontal profiles are there on any flight I'm pulling up.

Glad you liked the the video. It would be nice, with infinite time and resources, to narrate the video to explain the thinking and the coordination that was taking place, but I really can't swing it. I just have to do a better job capturing the video next time to include the mic input in real time (that's normally what I do, not sure what happened on this one).

The good news is that you have plenty to work on with flight planning, fuel management and engine out procedures. People really do get killed in those emergencies in real life, so it's worth honing those skills.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Keith Smith wrote:Hi Cyrus, the horizontal profiles are there on any flight I'm pulling up.
Mmmm. That's strange. Check this out....
peaware.png
peaware.png (39.91 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
Nothing to click or expand. I'm running Win 7 and IE 10, but through my corp firewall and lots of sites and applets are blocked. I also just tried from my iPhone/Safari (over AT&T cell network) and on that device it shows a big gap below the 'Horizontal Profile' section (about the size I would normally expect it to be), but here it is also completely blank.

So I'm guessing that this component of the page is using Flash or similar or some sort of unique ActiveX-esque Control?
Keith Smith wrote: The good news is that you have plenty to work on with flight planning, fuel management and engine out procedures. People really do get killed in those emergencies in real life, so it's worth honing those skills.
Yes I do. And I love how the reading/studying is complemented by the ability to [safely] make mistakes on PE. You should see all the books next to my bedside! :D
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

It's a flash app. Your phone probably doesn't support flash and your corporate firewall is probably blocking it.