Birthday Bash 2014 Scope video

Pictures or videos taken while flying on PilotEdge
Keith Smith

Birthday Bash 2014 Scope video

Post by Keith Smith »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7WZtrvKYNY

Definitely watch in HD or you won't be able to see much.

It's missing the controller to controller coordination. It's missing the bottom and right sides of the screen, so you won't see any typing. It actually took several hours to assemble because my video capture didn't include my mic, so I had to extract the transmissions from the recordings and time them in the video (it's exactly as time consuming as it sounds!)

Still, there's some good stuff there. The workload came from handing Vegas departures, Burbank arrivals (Joshua Approach) and VNY arrivals as Point Mugu Approach.

Two particular items of interest:
1) Originally planned for 258E to overtake the Legacy going to VNY, hence "direct FIM" from 258E. The Legacy eventually added 30kts to his speed, though, and the plan didn't work out. 258E was given a 90 deg vector to establish spacing behind the Legacy, then direct FIM again. Had 1000ft vertical separation (7k and 8k) for the initial overtake.

2) AUZ081 popped back on the network in mid flight near KOPLE, so the next 3-4 aircraft were vectored along a longer path to make a gap and maintain all of their spacing.

The video ends just as the com issues were starting. I didn't want to include all the ops stuff that took place and instead limited this just to the ATC scope.

For those who flew in the event, I hope you'll find the video enjoyable and informative! If you were given delay vectors or speeds, this video will hopefully show you why :)
Keith Smith

Re: Birthday Bash 2014 Scope video

Post by Keith Smith »

had a chance to watch for first time, here are some things I would've liked to have done differently:
- slowed N31ER sooner, no delay vector

- SWA5482 and SWA776 didn't need to be turned, possibly just slowed a little to maintain miles in trail requirements into Glendale sector (134.20)

- I formulated a plan for N258E to overtake the legacy based on ground speeds I saw earlier, but at the time I executed the plan (direct FIM), those speeds had evened out, so the overtake was never going to happen. Should've just given 258E a small delay vector and kept him behind the Legacy

- I normally don't mention shift changes or use them as a reason for delays, but this was an extraordinary circumstance, that was a very busy sector (the hardest time to do a shift change).
Kim Ellis

Post by Kim Ellis »

Keith Smith wrote: 2) AUZ081 popped back on the network in mid flight near KOPLE, so the next 3-4 aircraft were vectored along a longer path to make a gap and maintain all of their spacing.
That AUZ081is an absolute pain. Just because he looses the link across the Pacific, and knows it takes at least 3 full reconnection attempts to re-establish the link, he has become used to automatically hitting Pause at the first sign of disconnection so he doesn't loose half his flight. In retrospect, that was probably not the best line of attack in this situation. Maybe I should have just packed my bag and gone home. Irrespective, my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

BTW, I was very impressed that I only got that one unplanned disconnection, and only copped one logoff/logon due to the frequency change problem. Hope you didn't hear one frustrated pilot trying to convince any controller with a thousand clicks to give him clearance to land rather than go through the logoff/logon. In the end, I didn't Pause as I knew two strange men were in the cockpit behind me, and they would not be happy to have a 744 in their face. I gave in and did the logoff/logon, but of course by the time I did all that the short final was screwed, so I put her down and let her runoff the end of the runway, and walked away with my tail between my legs, hoping no-one noticed, LOL. Alas, one or both of those strange men in the shared cockpit did notice, and told the world, ROFL.

BTNW, the scope video is great. Certainly makes a huge difference being able to see the bigger picture. Thanks mate.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Kim,

You did nothing wrong. I only mentioned it as an item of interest from a controlling perspective. I know that it's hard for you to maintain a solid connection and that things happen. I would've been disappointed if you had packed up the bat and ball and not come back...the events aren't the same without you!

The disconnects should be less frequent with the new network architecture and slower connections. There is only one suggestion I can give you in the spirit of a healthy debrief, and that is to review the STAR you're about to fly, looking ahead for waypoints with mandatory or expected crossing altitudes. That way, when you hear the controller say "cross [something that sounds like JANNY] at and maintain 8,000," you'll know it's coming and can read it back without issue. It'll reduce your workload and stress level and it allows the controller to move on, which is key when it's busy.
Kim Ellis

Post by Kim Ellis »

Keith Smith wrote: You did nothing wrong. I only mentioned it as an item of interest from a controlling perspective. I know that it's hard for you to maintain a solid connection and that things happen. I would've been disappointed if you had packed up the bat and ball and not come back...the events aren't the same without you!
Why, thank you Sir for your kind words.
Keith Smith wrote: The disconnects should be less frequent with the new network architecture and slower connections.
They are. It is rare these days to get the standard disconnect, load related, problem. Even if the Pacific link is in slow mode, it is rare.
Keith Smith wrote: There is only one suggestion I can give you in the spirit of a healthy debrief, and that is to review the STAR you're about to fly, looking ahead for waypoints with mandatory or expected crossing altitudes. That way, when you hear the controller say "cross [something that sounds like JANNY] at and maintain 8,000," you'll know it's coming and can read it back without issue. It'll reduce your workload and stress level and it allows the controller to move on, which is key when it's busy.
Ah now there I have you. I am a studious observer of STARs. All my flights have full STARs programmed in case they are needed, including the EXPECT altitude and speed restrictions. PilotEdge ATC seems to have a list of approach restrictions that are not on the chart, and prefer to do their own thing rather than allow a STAR to run. Fair enough too if they are bored and just want to get in on the fun we are having.
I often listen to KLAS real world and their ATC will use STARs far more often than PilotEdge's ATC.
In the case in question, you and your JANNY, I had absolutely no idea what you were saying. The comms was not super fantastic, there was a lot of background noise, but basically your pronunciation was unreadble by this old model Auz. I just wrote it off to the different nuances between Yank and Aussie speak. I should have asked you to spell immediately.
I must confess to smiling as your frustration level went through the roof, both because of the problem before you (namely me) and because of the background stress events. The emperor is not wearing any clothes ... Sorry, could help myself. The master has clay feet LOL. OK, I am getting out of here.

BTW the birthday bash was superb. People are still talking about it. If you could repeat something similar on a regular basis, I think you would get quite a following.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Fair enough, Kim. Yes, I'd like to run events much more often, we'll see what we can do.

Being pulled off a SID or STAR is quite common in real world. What are examples of PE-specific restrictions that you're receiving? If you'd prefer to discuss offline, no problem, but I'm happy to discuss here, too.

And yes, I was at capacity in the video a few times :) I'm not quite as sharp as when I was working 30+ hours a week on the scope!
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Kim Ellis wrote: Why, thank you Sir for your kind words.
Kim, I've heard your wonderfully distinct voice so much while on PE (and on the PE recordings), that my weirdo brain actually "read" this (in my mind) using your voice. I am being totally serious :!:
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Keith Smith wrote:
I formulated a plan for N258E to overtake the legacy based on ground speeds I saw earlier, but at the time I executed the plan (direct FIM), those speeds had evened out, so the overtake was never going to happen. Should've just given 258E a small delay vector and kept him behind the Legacy
Keith, I haven't watched the video yet (hopefully I'll make a dent in it tonight), but I must admit - I was curious what you were going to do with me and/or the Legacy. In fact, I was nervously watching out my left window for most of the enroute part of the trip... as we passed SBA and on around the coast. It was a relief to hear you have him climb up to 8k, but I still wondered who would be grabbing the winning ticket into VNY first.

Looking forward to seeing ATC's perspective tonight....

Thanks for posting the vid!
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Had I been able to pay more attention, a small vector or speed adjustment would've given me the required spacing prior to the SBA/NTD border and/or the NTD/Socal border. As it was, I used a hammer (the 90 degree vector) to sort it out when it became clear that it was not happening. All the separation was legal, it just wasn't very elegant at the end there.
Kim Ellis

Post by Kim Ellis »

Cyrus wrote:
Kim Ellis wrote: Kim, I've heard your wonderfully distinct voice so much while on PE (and on the PE recordings), that my weirdo brain actually "read" this (in my mind) using your voice. I am being totally serious :!:
Don't creep me out Cy. I've never thought there was anything unusual about my voice, until PE. I remember back in the early days, Keith and the lads used to joke "oh here comes Kim with his clearance request, we've got time to get a cup of coffee while he tells us his life story". Since then I have learnt to abreviate and speed up my clearance request to the point where I think I'm up there with the best of them. Of course, no-one can do ATC speak quite as fast as Keith. And if I talk to VatSim or IVAO Auzzie ATC using my PE/USA voice, I invariably get the "what the ..." say again more slowly response :)
What I have noticed in the last six months or so, and to PE's/Keith's credit, is an ever increasing number of non-USA international accents and speeds, just like it is in the real world. I was listening to real world KLAS ATC the other morning and a Pommie came on with the best English accent you have ever heard. KLAS ATC were in a real dither trying to work out what he was saying. A case of the real world imitating PE, or is it visa versa :)