At least it wasn't Keith this time.

Pictures or videos taken while flying on PilotEdge
ChrisS

At least it wasn't Keith this time.

Post by ChrisS »

Another birdstrike after departure from KSMX. Not PE induced, but handled very well by the controller.

http://youtu.be/HeVCDXJ8VJo
JN_

Re: At least it wasn't Keith this time.

Post by JN_ »

I didn't know you could get a birdstrike in x-plane. I thought the bird option was just eye candy -- mostly because it's a "rendering option".
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

JN_ wrote:I didn't know you could get a birdstrike in x-plane. I thought the bird option was just eye candy -- mostly because it's a "rendering option".
Apparently it can render itself through your windscreen and into your skull as well :lol:
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

That was a great video. I didn't know that the birds could actually hit the aircraft and do damage.

Just wondering if you caught another possible "widow maker" move during the go around. Check the bank angle (> 30 degrees) when you noted runway over shoot during the base to final turn.

Do you happen to know what the Vse speed is on the King Air? It seemed a little fast to me but I'm not real knowledgeable on the King Air Vee speeds.

Still have to say "good job". It's makes me wonder if I could do even a 1/4 as good if it happened to me so suddenly out of the blue.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Bird strikes in X-Plane used to be cosmetic if I'm not mistaken. It looks like they have some teeth now. This is one of the only times that bad things can happen to you outside of the 'random failures' option in X-Plane. I like that they were 'sticky' in their location. You came back and there they were, right where you left them. Well...all but one :)

Nicely done, man.
snglecoil

Post by snglecoil »

Bird strikes are actually a item in the failure settings now. I had one last night departing CRQ. Totally unexpected. Unfortunately, I didn't handle it nearly as smoothly as Chris in his video. But, at lease I made it back, and with enough energy to roll to the tower.
Chris
PE Call signs: N714VA or N619CT
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Definitely lots of things I'd do differently in the same situation. In fly the KingAir all the time in X-Plane, but really rarely ever run any emergencies with it. A quick recap:

I had the auto feather armed, which definitely saved me a little bit of time. I really didn't have enough room to put the airplane back on the runway, and even if I did I wasn't configured for it. (Flaps up, gear up, way out of rig)

I probably should have continued on the upwind longer. I can't remember how much wind there was that day, but I could have used a few extra knots. I made the turn early because I knew I might need to make a right 270° turn to land on the perpendicular runway if I ran out of steam or the other stove quit.

I was below VSe on the downwind, but the airplane was flying okay and even with the left throttle forward, that was all I could get without losing some altitude.

Then I turned base. Lots of new issues here. I overshot the centreline, hard bank to get it back (bad) dropped the gear without considering if the extra drag would kill me (bad) then landed halfway down the field without a real option to go around (bad).

Super fun though. To be honest, if it went flawlessly I wouldn't have put it on YouTube. It's fun to sit back with you guys and pick it apart, just like you would in the real world.

Cheers!