I-7 Rating Exam, Approach to Minimums

Pictures or videos taken while flying on PilotEdge
NameCoin

I-7 Rating Exam, Approach to Minimums

Post by NameCoin »

Just thought I'd share a clip from my recent stream. We flew the "VOR/DME or GPS-B" approach at Catalina in pretty stiff IMC conditions. Flew it down to minimums and spotted the field a mile away from the missed approach point. The clip starts after we turned outbound: http://youtu.be/IrpcpWkck3s?t=39m12s. I apologise in advance - X-Plane cloud rendering completely saturates my CPU, so sometimes the audio processing gets jumbled. If there's something you wanted to hear but couldn't understand, let me know - I remember most of what I said.

Please feel free to check out the other part of the clip, which includes a short brief of our plan. It's a little bit erroneous in that I predicated it on getting vectors to final, since trying to fly the feeder route from V21 requires an unexpectedly sharp turn. It was my fault in incorrectly interpreting the I-7 description and it caused some interesting confusion coming in to the approach. Looking at it afterwards though, I think it would have been more clear to say something like
Pilot will fly IFR from KSNA to KAVX and shoot the VOR/DME-B approach using the Santa Catalina (SXC) VOR feeder, filing SLI V21 SXC for the route.
The original text was "shoot the VOR/DME-B approach from the Santa Catalina (SXC) VOR", which I thought referred to the fact that the VOR/DME-B approach was based on SXC. It could easily be my own eccentric use of language combined with expectation as an instrument pilot that caused this.

Anyway, thanks for looking!