Fivechickens does the V-03....inverted

Pictures or videos taken while flying on PilotEdge
fivechickens

Fivechickens does the V-03....inverted

Post by fivechickens »

Attempted the V-03 on Friday night while the wife was out with friends, gave me some distraction-free flying time to bang off the V3.

Well, as usual, I insisted on flying in a fling-wing, and for this exercise I selected my heavily-modified BK117 with the GNS530 as I wanted to fly coupled in case I got task-saturated with the radios. In reality, the V3 was a relative breeze once I got out of my head.

However, during the flight I had a couple interesting situations involving the aircraft fighting me and inverting itself! I had forgotten that I had bound a control wheel on my throttle to elevator trim (this is why I don't plane), and each time I centred my cyclic and coupled, it would fly fine, but then a jitter in the control wheel would cause the machine to go haywire! I lost a couple thousand feet on at least one excursion, helicopters tend to not hold altitude during backflips.

Anyway, my routing was KSNA to the Coastal Route at 6500 (ish) then down and north of Santa Monica before returning along the helicopter coastal route at 150' AGL! Do that in a plane! Thanks to Mr. Gibbs for the suggestions of the routes, originally I was going to do the entire route at 8500'!

Check out the video and annotated sections in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHEeAeYEJfc
PE V3 - I11 Rated - All in a Helicopter (BH407, BK117, S-92)
Alphabet Challenge in a Helicopter - 2 legs completed.
Vincent Meier

Re: Fivechickens does the V-03....inverted

Post by Vincent Meier »

Well that was exciting!! Congrats on the pass and keeping the heli stable as well as you did!
I am surprised you did not get called for all the altitude variations you were having...
One more thing...Clean up your room young man!!
Vincent Meier

Skyhawk 172: C-FEGU
Baron 58: C-FEED
Cirrus SR22: C-FLAG
fivechickens

Re: Fivechickens does the V-03....inverted

Post by fivechickens »

My wife and I moved back to my mother's home while our jobs are in flux so our office is our bedroom is our living room, which makes for a constant state of chaos. But yes, laundry is our enemy.
PE V3 - I11 Rated - All in a Helicopter (BH407, BK117, S-92)
Alphabet Challenge in a Helicopter - 2 legs completed.