Western US Expansion Launch: Dec 27

jiva602

Re: Western US Expansion Launch: Dec 27

Post by jiva602 »

Keith Smith wrote:The bonus field during the first two weeks of operation will be KABQ.
So, for example, I can take off in my Skylane from E80 and pretty much immediately call up Albuquerque APP and ask for advisories to KABQ?

On the PE network, how far out can we be from the expansion fields and still get in touch with an APP or CTR to request following? No more than 20 miles?
Cessna Skylane N108ES
Socata TBM 850 N852XM
CAT 11
jx_

Post by jx_ »

Marcus Becker wrote:http://flightaware.com/statistics/ifr-route/

One of the best sights around to find recent real world flights. For commercial flights, you can even see gate assignments.

Yes, just be aware the controller may still amend your flightplan for various reasons.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

jiva602 wrote:
Keith Smith wrote:The bonus field during the first two weeks of operation will be KABQ.
So, for example, I can take off in my Skylane from E80 and pretty much immediately call up Albuquerque APP and ask for advisories to KABQ?

On the PE network, how far out can we be from the expansion fields and still get in touch with an APP or CTR to request following? No more than 20 miles?
Jiva, re-read the section on the "Hidden Gem" very carefully...this is a really important feature for GA piston flying and may well tip the scales for a lot of users. I did my best to describe it in that document, but if I can be more clear, I'm open to feedback on how to do it. Yes, you can fly from E80 to ABQ and call ATC shortly after wheels up for service into KABQ, but more to the point, you can takeoff from ANYWHERE in the 5 ARTCC's (Seattle, Oakland, Salt Lake City, Denver and Albuquerque ARTCCs) and receive advisories to KABQ.

Edit: hopefully this is a really exciting feature :)
bho

Post by bho »

Sounds really good that you are expanding coverage area. One question though, if I understand it right, there are 10 bonus airports and only one will be active at a time (active two weeks)? That would mean you need to wait 20 weeks for it to come around again?
jiva602

Post by jiva602 »

Keith Smith wrote:
jiva602 wrote:

Jiva, re-read the section on the "Hidden Gem" very carefully...this is a really important feature for GA piston flying and may well tip the scales for a lot of users. I did my best to describe it in that document, but if I can be more clear, I'm open to feedback on how to do it. Yes, you can fly from E80 to ABQ and call ATC shortly after wheels up for service into KABQ, but more to the point, you can takeoff from ANYWHERE in the 5 ARTCC's (Seattle, Oakland, Salt Lake City, Denver and Albuquerque ARTCCs) and receive advisories to KABQ.
Keith, I believe you have been very clear in that document and I apologize for being so obtuse but... I read that section, then read it again (scouts honor), it just seemed WAY too good to be true and I just HAD to ask :D and yes, this is indeed VERY exciting.

As always, thank you for your patience; I understand perfectly how frustrating it can be to deal with folks like me.
Cessna Skylane N108ES
Socata TBM 850 N852XM
CAT 11
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

bho wrote:Sounds really good that you are expanding coverage area. One question though, if I understand it right, there are 10 bonus airports and only one will be active at a time (active two weeks)? That would mean you need to wait 20 weeks for it to come around again?
That's the plan for now. It's quite likely that we'll increase the rotation speed in the future once they're all built out and the controllers are trained. The day might even come where multiple bonus fields are active at once *fingers crossed*. We just need to see how it plays out on the scope. It's a significant (and almost cruel) undertaking to have one person working 5 ARTCCs at the same time.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

As always, thank you for your patience; I understand perfectly how frustrating it can be to deal with folks like me.
You're far too hard on yourself, it's a pleasure having you here and it's been great seeing your knowledge grow over time. This is what the network is really all about. The only reason I ask is in case there's anything I can do to bring that point home, because, as you said, it's kind of a big deal :)

I was originally thinking of describing some of the flights that could take place on the network. Showing a healthy number of the hidden gem cases might help bring some clarity.

This pretty much came about when I was looking at a sectional chart of the SEA area, picturing doing a bunch of jet flights from SEA to SFO, SLC, PHX, etc...then some turboprop flights to YKM and GEG.....but then I kept looking at the stunning terrain and all of the really cool non-towered fields and said to myself, "I _must_ fly from 21W to KHRI. I don't mind if there isn't a single other airplane for 150nm...I'd still prefer to have flight following and be in the system, and I bet other ppl would want the same thing as well." It's a small increase in ATC workload for a huge benefit for GA pistons as it opens up literally hundreds and hundreds of airports.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Keith:

What is the charge for the expansion from the Jan 10th date until a customer's current renewal date for those on the yearly plan? Prorated I assume or is it 50% off the VATSIM price...

Steve
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
N3141P

Post by N3141P »

Keith and all the controllers:

Thank you so much for the hard work that has gone into making this expansion possible. PilotEdge is a truly fantastic product that exponentially increases the realism and immersion of flight simulation, and once I started using it I found that I could no longer fly without it. Having said that, as a fast jet pilot, flying into the same few airports could often get old.

This new area is going to add so much more to the experience when flying with PE, and it seems to me you have increased the variety accessible to users by an order of magnitude. I am more excited about this than I ever could be about a singular aircraft release or simulator upgrade simply because of how important realistic navigation and ATC is to me. What a fantastic Christmas present.

I cannot wait to get online on release day with all the traffic and I can assure you I will be back and forth between the various facilities multiple times before close of play.

Again: Thank you Keith, all the controllers and developers, and I hope this is the success you need it to be. Not often do I find myself so grateful for a paid product - but it is clear PE is a real labour of love by all involved.
Tim Krajcar

Post by Tim Krajcar »

stevekirks wrote:What is the charge for the expansion from the Jan 10th date until a customer's current renewal date for those on the yearly plan? Prorated I assume or is it 50% off the VATSIM price...
Steve,

The expansion is an add-on to your base subscription, so it doesn't change your billing period. The cost will be pro-rated day-for-day, whether adding it on a monthly plan or yearly plan.
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube