Beyond the I-11? Here's one outta HHR

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Orest Skrypuch

Re: Beyond the I-11? Here's one outta HHR

Post by Orest Skrypuch »

Keith,

Just reading through the thread again, that is a cool trick to double back with the GPS route, and then activate the inbound segment on V363 at the correct time.

* Orest
PP/ASEL/IR, Piper Dakota (PA28-236) C-FCPO
President & CEO, UVA, http://www.united-virtual.com
scottcame

Post by scottcame »

I flew the route tonight, when all the fields in the area were either IFR or MVFR. It was a bunch of fun. I didn't even mess with the GPS...just did it the old fashioned way, hand-flying with two VORs. SoCal gave me several shortcuts, but I did get to fly the interesting part between SLI and ELB as filed/published.

Thanks for suggesting it Keith! This is one I'll come back and do again.
Scott Came
P/E: N118SC (C172) or N400SC (COL4)
R/W: Private Pilot, ASEL, KOLM (Olympia, Washington, USA)
dave_paige

Post by dave_paige »

Keith Smith wrote:Dave, I will correct you on one small thing to make sure you're looking in the right direction....V64 does indeed continue after SLI, out to the east.
Hehe, thanks for pointing that out, Keith. I had, in fact, completely missed it. The reason for my original post was that I'm trying to learn to use the XP Reality GNS 430 in my Bonanza, which, in turns out, will let me create a "user waypoint". I learned to fly in the days prior to GPS devices. I got my PPL in 1987 and my instrument rating in early 90s. So I'm going to try it both ways, once without GPS at all and then with the GNS430.
Dave Paige
Private Pilot
Instrument Airplane; ASEL